Magoeba Trek

jimmypats

Hey Everyone, 

Just checking if anyone has experience on on the Magoeba Trek happening this year? Would you recommend this over the Wine2Whales event? A friend and I are trying to decide between the two. If someone has done both, how do they stack up? 

Any feedback would be appreciated!! :) 

Maybe lets start with a few comparison criteria and bear in mind this is an opinion of 1.

Magoeba (M) v W2W (W)

Which is tougher - (M) due to the area and climbing v distance (haven't done the calc but it feels like more climbing at Magoeba

Which is more technical - (M) mainly due to the track not being as well ridden as W2W and something called the Rocky Horror...

Which has the better facilities (W) - its slicker and been around longer and has more money going into the event.

Rider enjoyment - this is split down the middle. I loved the Magoeba track and I love W2W track

Magoeba you drink beer - W2W you drink wine!

Easier and cheaper to get to M from JHB vs the Cape (flights etc)

The unknown for Magoeba in 2020 is the venue change to Stanford College and likewise the W2W change is the reversed route so you have to do both :-)

Edited by BigToe

Magoeba any day. Amazing riding, beautiful area and far less admin/logistics than W2W (for me from Jozi).

Better value for money...W2W is overrated imo.

I love Magoebas 

Hiked those mountains and cycled them and just stayed in them.Been visiting since before Stanford when it was the Trout Water Inn

Steak Egg and Chips in Haenertsberg after and a stay at Cheerio

Not into those fancy smancy events

Also the Wolkberg... :thumbup: ..but that's a story for another day,pretty severe wilderness area

Edited by Kranswurm

I need to make a plan to do it.

Just around the corner from me, and my sons girlfriend stays next to Ebenaezer dam, just across the road from Stanford.

Not much of a dam at the moment

Maybe lets start with a few comparison criteria and bear in mind this is an opinion of 1.

Magoeba (M) v W2W (W)

Which is tougher - (M) due to the area and climbing v distance (haven't done the calc but it feels like more climbing at Magoeba

Which is more technical - (M) mainly due to the track not being as well ridden as W2W and something called the Rocky Horror...

Which has the better facilities (W) - its slicker and been around longer and has more money going into the event.

Rider enjoyment - this is split down the middle. I loved the Magoeba track and I love W2W track

The unknown for Magoeba in 2020 is the venue change to Stanford College and likewise the W2W change is the reversed route so you have to do both :-)

Stanford hosts one of the best 2 day trail runs in SA and you are onto the trails straight out of the school so I wouldn't worry about the venue.

Their sports centre is an incredible facility and there are some real athletes working and studying there.

The worst part about that venue is the feeling of sadness that you didn't get to go to that school as a kid

Edited by dave303e

Yup, dam is very low at the moment.

Problem is Tzaneen dam so more water is pulled from Ebenaezer now.

Been 2 years now, really bad state at the moment.

Talking under correction, but Tzaneen is les than 10% at the moment.

Magoeba (M) v W2W (W)

You've sold me on the Magoeba, Thanks for the response BT :) , there wasn't much info on the Magoeba event and its good to know what I'll be in for. Now to try find a partner and get training is the next step. Thanks again!

You've sold me on the Magoeba, Thanks for the response BT :) , there wasn't much info on the Magoeba event and its good to know what I'll be in for. Now to try find a partner and get training is the next step. Thanks again!

Make sure you work on your climbing...you have been warned...