Travelling with your carbon bike

Healthnut

Could anyone cast some light on the best way to package / transport bikes for international flights? My bike is full carbon (MTB) and we plan to fly via Italy to Slovenia in August. Is a bike box sufficient, or should we purchase bags?

Renée

Have a look in the Bus/Sell forum - there are a few good specials for proper dedicated bike bags for Sale and for Hire. Better than any cardboard box, especially for a Carbon bike!

Depends on the weight of your bike...As dedicated bike bags are aruond ~8kg each and you get a max single bag allowance of 21 to 23kg depending on airline (assuming economy class). So you may sukkel to come in under that limit with a dedicated bike bag once you add a little more padding or a spare tyre and some tools too.

So I use a cardboard bike box. Reinforced with duct tape in appropriate places. R20 pool noodle cut up protects things like stanchion tubes. Take pedals off and put on facing inwards, take front tyre off and place next to bike, handlebars off. cable tied to bike. then a tiny bit of bubblewrap. Simple enough.

Damn Pool Noodles are cheap in Cape Town. Joburg you paying R50 and up. I know because I recently bought some and looked at a few shops before getting as I was shocked when I first saw the price.

Anyway, back on topic.