One bike for road / hard pack duty

The Ghost

Cannondale Topstone

https://youtu.be/pELDkSDZn-I

I will get the Topstone as my next do it all bike. Morning group rides on slick 28mm or long distance gravel rides on 37mm.

It looks like a good bike, but for some reason it doesn’t appeal to me as much. Maybe it’s that off the shelf it’s the furthest spec to what I’m looking for, but I suppose if I’m changing things on other bikes then changing stuff on this one too is also possible.

I'm still saddened that I cant try a Grail because they're sold online and not through bike shops :(

Try reaching out to cyclists in your community. Someone might have one for you to try out. You could meet up for a coffee ride when Covid19 is over. 

So I discovered that the 2021 Trek Checkpoint bikes will come out with GRX groups which makes me happy and I have a dealer here sending me a Checkpoint to ride in the next day or so which will be great.

I also have the opportunity to build up an S Works Diverge frameset with GRX and whatever else I’d like which is also really appealing, but sadly I haven’t had the chance to try a Diverge yet which is a bit of a challenge.

Hopefully I’ll get an idea of the fit for me with the Checkpoint and my concern with it that it may be too stretched out for me whereas with the Diverge I worry that I won’t be low enough [emoji2359][emoji1]

Oh I should add that bike shops are essential services here and the delivery will be done as per guidelines and decontamination will be done and I will be riding it within the regional exercise guidelines for the country which is within a 2km radius of our house.

I'm still saddened that I cant try a Grail because they're sold online and not through bike shops :(

A bit far from you, but S&J had a demo I rode.

Nice bike.

Most manufacturers sell "comfort" orientated road bikes. They generally have a shorter top tube and taller head tube giving you a more upright position. If that's still not enough for you, you can always fiddle with the stem to make your bars even higher (turning it around is the cheapest option).

Bikes that tick the comfort box are:

Giant Defy

Specialized Rouxbais

Merida Ride

Trek Domane

Scott Solace (I think that what it is now)

There are lots of others I can't think of right now

Ritchey Swiss+Cross

The Diverge any day of the week. Shorter stem will pull your hands even closer. The drops should line up with the top tube and due to the head shock the natural position on the bike is more up right. Do it. The diverge also has the 20mm of 'suspension' which could be a game changer for your comfort

Do you think it’s fast enough for a bit of racing or a bit too upright?

Do you think it’s fast enough for a bit of racing or a bit too upright?

It is absolutely 'fast enough'... With the right gearing and set up/fit it will be perfect with some 28c road slicks with a set of gravel wheels and tires on the side for those farm lane days

It is absolutely 'fast enough'... With the right gearing and set up/fit it will be perfect with some 28c road slicks with a set of gravel wheels and tires on the side for those farm lane days

Thanks so much for your input.

The demo Diverge arrived today..... I keep looking at the bike wondering where the rest of it is [emoji1787] bwa ha ha ha ha

The demo Diverge arrived today..... I keep looking at the bike wondering where the rest of it is [emoji1787] bwa ha ha ha ha

Pics please ...