Mtb 29 rims

jpscania

Anything with Crests (well, Stans MK3 in general) you'll be rebuilding within 2 years. Particularly the builds you've listed there - they're built with straight gauge spokes that will pull through the rims even quicker than normal. MK3 rims suffer from fatigue cracking around the spoke spoke holes due to the shallow rim profile and lack of reinforcement.

True, true but I did the same as I needed new wheels and couldn't afford the straight build with double butted spokes, brass nipples and all the good stuff at the time. I was thinking of Lyne at the time but I needed a boost front / non boost rear and was struggling to get info from them about stock. 

I bought the Flows on Hopes from CWC and to be honest they were built fine. Picked a hub colour, paid, waited a few days and collected. I ran them for a good 18 months across Jonkers, Tokai, Contis, Hoogies etc without an issue. Thing is I knew I would rebuild them at some point (and did with you guys - thanks for the stellar build as always) but it staggered the process and the initial purchase gave great hardware to move forward. Much like getting bike with a couple of average part and upgrade as you go. I don't think my final build (initial build + Droo love) was more than a 'classier' initial build from some where else. I did get quotes at the time and think I still came in under those.  

I'm guessing might have been lucky as I've not had any of the cracking issues that people have flagged. Does anyone know if / when these were addressed by stans and if / when improved rims started being produced? 

They did change their heat treating process at some point, I think around 2 years ago. It helped, but still doesn't address the underlying cause which is the lack of support around the spoke holes. This causes repetitive strain (flex as a result of stress) on the spoke holes as each spoke is loaded and unloaded as the wheel rotates, which will eventually result in cracking as aluminium has no lower fatigue limit.

If you look at a more traditional rim section, the v shape at the spoke bed - even if shallow - greatly reduces the stress on the material at that point, which is why this issue is far less common on other rims.

(I can draw pictures if you want to geek out properly, not sure how far down this rabbit hole you want to go though)