WhatsApp & Facebook

IceCreamMan

look at T&C's in terms of contracts.

you original agree to a bid by specific terms in the contract, the contract get changed, you do not agree to them, and continue to use the service based on the old terms, 

you breech a specific term you did not agree to, as it was not in the original contract, and get penalized, 

is it ethical for them to hold you to account when there is no breech of contract according to the contract agreed upon ?

Patreon Vs Comedian

Which change in WhatsApp and which subsequent penalization are you referring too? 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which change in WhatsApp and which subsequent penalization are you referring too? 

hypothetical change and penalization..

its more about the legality of the T&C's as a binding contract than a specific Clause.

Edited by Tuxstir

hypothetical change and penalization..

its more about the legality of the T&C's as a binding contract than a specific Clause.

Eish, well thats a challenge with so many variables.

However, as personal and very generalist position:

IF I accept terms I should be held to those terms such as data sharing terms, IF I have not accepted the new terms, I should either not be bound to them like data sharing consent or I should just booted off the platform if my behavior does not meet the new terms. 

in summary, I would be ok being booted off a platform for swearing if they introduce a new no swearing rules, that I have not accepted. But I would be less happy if my data gets shared without me agreeing the new terms of use. 

Edited by Patchelicious

I enjoyed the Hadidas in the background... very South-African.

Otherwise, good explanation of the current situation.

I only started paying attention once she mentioned nudes....

Just joking. Perfectly said and agree with what she said. I just love people these days, we expect everything for free and damn can we moan when the chickens come home to roost!

Slightly related, but my son saved up to buy and Oculus Rift VR headset for his gaming machine. Facebook bought Oculus a while back and have this silly rule that you cannot use your headset unless you have an active Facebook account.

So, my 11 year old cannot technically use this device until he is 13 (the minimum age for a Facebook Account)

Imagine you had spent over $500USD for a headset and who knows how much on games, only to be told that you can no longer use them unless you sign up and allow Facebook to access your entire gamer profile. Sure, they gave users that owned the products before the buy out a window of time, but that's not really the point.

I understand in a situation like WhatsApp and Facebook that are provided for "free" that the user is the product, but in the Oculus scenario, you are actually paying for a tangible thing...

TLDR; Facebook sucks

Interesting post....

A little digging and I see that Oculus put the age restriction down to their international Content Rating from the IARC due to what is available on the platform. So not suitable until teens.

Also appears that a lot of their technology and features rely on Facebooks hardware and software backend. The “rich” content coming from Facebook shared services. To that end would make sense that if your device has access to “privileged content” inside the Facebook ecosystem then you must have an account or they could be deemed to be sharing private info with outsiders.

Either way, you make a great example of how we are getting “forced” into alliances with people/companies we would rather not. Standing your ground is becoming so much more difficult as you will end up not being able to communicate with anyone!

• 1 month later...