Vertical dropouts tensioner options

BenGraham

So case closed here. The chain guide from BaGearA was the perfect solution. There were a couple hitches. One was I needed to track down machine screws to install as the originals had been lost. This turned out to be a little tricky because the head size is fairly specific. The ones I had were too tall. The ones I eventually installed are screw head ones and I would have preferred hex ones but whatever they work fine.

The other gotcha was my 30T was actually too small for the chain guide to have the desired effect. Its not the fault of the chain guide (which is only rated from 32t up to 38t) I think its just a function of the geometry of the situation. My chain stays are also monstrous so that makes things trickier too. Anyway I eventually figured out that I could use the 32 tooth middle ring from my original 3X group that was just collecting dust in my parts box. I have a 34 as well but even the 32 felt hard so 34 would have been brutal at my current fitness level.

The 2 tooth difference definitely made me feel slower but my average speed was actually better. I think I'll get used to it soon enough.

Now the actual experience of the ride. Wonderful. The drivetrain was silent and ran super smooth the whole 32km ride that I put in yesterday. Power transfer felt better but that's a hard one to quantify. Generally I'm super pleased. Thought I'd need to buy a 32t nw ring but this setup is so bullet proof I doubt I'll really need to. Will need to take it over rougher terrain than the spruit to be sure though. Overall I'm super pleased and would recommend the setup to anyone with the parts and mounting points to make it happen.

Thanks everyone for your advice. And especially to BaGearA for the chain guide itself.post-47041-0-58775400-1613988216_thumb.jpgpost-47041-0-22366900-1613988263_thumb.jpg

she looks flipping awesome, congrats!

if your legs take a beating, then look to a larger cog ... the net effect would be that it would also take the chain a couple of mm further away from your chain stays giving you more clearance should there be any chain slap and you may be able to get ride of the slap sock and clean up the rear of the bike even more.

Yeah, the sock is kind of ugly. The bike shop said one size fits all. They were wrong. My bike is big boned. Will be looking into an alternative soon I'm sure.

she looks flipping awesome, congrats!

if your legs take a beating, then look to a larger cog ... the net effect would be that it would also take the chain a couple of mm further away from your chain stays giving you more clearance should there be any chain slap and you may be able to get ride of the slap sock and clean up the rear of the bike even more.