Help - Silverback Stride SX 2021 or Scott Scale 980 2021

mtb_girl

Hello, 

I need some help. I am a mtb newbie.

I am upgrading from a really entry level Silverback which I bought second hand for R 1000 years ago. 

I have gone to see two bikes which I feel are fairly similar to some extent. Now I am not sure what bike to go for. 

1. The Silverback Stride SX 2021 going for R17,500 

2. The Scott Scale 980 2021 going for R 17,000 but will cost an extra R1400 to go tubeless. 

Not sure. 

I have heard that people would buy Scott for the name, but I would like to stay unbiased. 

Any advice would be welcomed. 

Hi there, R1 400 to go tubeless sounds a bit hectic. What height are you, size frame the bike shop suggests? Silverback has always been good, more value for money, lightweight frames, good parts, i have had 3 x silverbacks. 

My height is 1.57m and I tried the mens small frame which seems to fit me just fine. 

Yeah, its crazy expensive. Where as the Silverback is tubeless ready and will cost I think R 300 to convert it. I am wondering if it is something I could do on my own. 

Hi there, R1 400 to go tubeless sounds a bit hectic. What height are you, size frame the bike shop suggests? Silverback has always been good, more value for money, lightweight frames, good parts, i have had 3 x silverbacks. 

Shop around, i am sure there are better deals. I see that silverback for under 15k on other sites. It also seems the Scott is lighter. Enjoy shopping! 

Thanks you for the replies. 

What should I look for in a bike. Like what is most important? 

When testing the Scott it felt lighter yes. I am not sure now. I did like the Silverback because the geometry is better and it felt more sturdy. 

Haha, it is a little overwhelming because you want the best bike that you can get without breaking your pocket. 

Shop around, i am sure there are better deals. I see that silverback for under 15k on other sites. It also seems the Scott is lighter. Enjoy shopping! 

Both bikes you mentioned are good bikes and equally specced. But what you mentioned below is a very important point when choosing between bikes, if the Silverback just feels right go with it. I've bought plenty of bikes based on that 'feel and fit' and never regretted my decisions.

PS - mostly ended with buying Scotts

Thanks you for the replies. 

What should I look for in a bike. Like what is most important? 

When testing the Scott it felt lighter yes. I am not sure now. I did like the Silverback because the geometry is better and it felt more sturdy.

Haha, it is a little overwhelming because you want the best bike that you can get without breaking your pocket. 

Can't go wrong with either of those. Have a look at the Titan Drone range as well, probably the best value for money in terms of components. 

Hi Mtb Girl, where are you based, what bike shops are in and around your area. Business is tight, they must give you awesome service and advise. I am sure there will be allot of people that will start to give you advise shortly. You also spending allot of money on your technically first bike. So you must be 100% happy.

My wife has changed her bike three times in 10 years, and always its been to a lighter bike, now lately, full suspension. But i would look at:

1 by gearing, which both have, so thats good.

Good shock / fork, the better quality ones are actually lighter as well.

Total bike weight

Stand over, so when you stand, the top tube is not near you.

This is why some ladies, girls, prefer woman specific frames.

As i said, allot of advise will come shortly.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5S7V5NhM8JQoi8vhELX-9aYHmRtmCveT

You seem like you really want to get into it, but like everyone starts, its hard to know what to look for, and more importantly, what to avoid...

This series is pretty good at showing you budget and beginner friendly options that will take you far into the sport while you find your feet and get fit, and then, should you love it and outride your bike, you can upgrade. This is the best way to aboid losing money unnecessarily. Unfortunately, its quite common for bike shops to sell you what they have, rather than what you need. So its tough to trust that advice. Do come here and ask for second opinions when you are concerned...