6 questions; not a newbie, rather an uninformed RETURNING old-tech cyclist!

Zebra

1. - likely more personal preference, everyone will give a different answer

2. Microspline is designed around the new Shimano 12 speed, so unless you want to upgrade everything, its probably not viable. If you spinning out, run a bigger chainring upfront instead, especially if you have a x2 setup, so you wont loose out on the granny gearing offroad.

3. Clutch stops the chain slapping around, turn it on, leave it there, turn it off when removing wheels.

4. Most disc should work with your setup, as long as the 2 wheel sets have the same discs install. Most discs are the same thickness. TRP are one of the few that use a thicker disc one a couple of their range.

5. Tubed should be just fine on a commuter. I carry a spare tube, patches and plugs even when I do have tubeless setup.

Many thanks, Aloutte3 !

Bike: Specialized 2015 Epic Carbon Comp, spec as ex factory, where unusually they mixed SRAM and Shimano in the specs!

Questions:

1. Commuting in the week, just bought very nice Easton 70 rims, to fit slicks to, to save my off-road rubber on a 60km commute - should I keep these near-new Easton 70’s for on-road work, and my ROVALS for off-road, or REVERSE that logic?

eastons are rather difficult to find spares for so perhaps running them into the ground as commuters isn't a bad idea

2. I need a new cluster for my ROVALS in any case, and then another new cluster for the just-acquired Easton 70’s: am spinning out with the 11-tooth on my 10-speed cluster; can I buyTWO MATCHING 11-speed clusters for 2x 10-speed microspline hubs, AND then get the 10-tooth I really need?

confusing requirements here. I assume the mention of microspline is a mistake since that's a 12speed freehub body design and  you're looking for a 10 speed cassette.. Yo also can't fit a 10t cassette to anything other than a Microspline or XD/R freehubs from Shimano and SRAM respectively. )Yes campy and Rotor have their freehub designs as well but they're out of scope here)

3. What is the purpose of the CLUTCH on my existing Shimano XT Derailleur, and how do I know which length it is?

The clutch is to stop the jockey pulley cage articulating too fast. its usually not used on a 2x system and a necessity for a 1x drivetrain. Again I'm not sure what you actually want to achieve

4. I run MAGURA brakes, and MAGURA disks, v. happy with the setup: quite a few 160mm and 180mm disks on offer on the HUB: for my SECOND set of commuting wheels, how do I judge what WILL work, versus what will NOT work, to save trial-and-error?

Just match the rotors to that fitted on the ROVALS.

5. Tubed versus tubeless; my ROVALS are tubeless, and I run tubeless tires on then, no problem there...

The Easton70’s are tubeless, with tubeless (MTB) tires on, which I wish to exchange for decent-width slicks; TUBELSS slicks seem very pricyAND wear quickly (so I have heard?); CWC has tough, Chinese 29”er slicks for R150 a tire, and this could be WAY more affordable AND durable than keeping these rims tubeless, though then 2 different systems on 1 bike, though I carry both repair systems in any case, what say you guys?

Just fit tubeless gravel bike tyres

6. Taking photos now.....have to learn how to downsize photos on iPad....!

To be continued.....

Chris

Edited by DieselnDust

Bike: Specialized 2015 Epic Carbon Comp, spec as ex factory, where unusually they mixed SRAM and Shimano in the specs!

Questions:

1. Commuting in the week, just bought very nice Easton 70 rims, to fit slicks to, to save my off-road rubber on a 60km commute - should I keep these near-new Easton 70’s for on-road work, and my ROVALS for off-road, or REVERSE that logic?

eastons are rather difficult to find spares for so perhaps running them into the ground as commuters isn't a bad idea

2. I need a new cluster for my ROVALS in any case, and then another new cluster for the just-acquired Easton 70’s: am spinning out with the 11-tooth on my 10-speed cluster; can I buyTWO MATCHING 11-speed clusters for 2x 10-speed microspline hubs, AND then get the 10-tooth I really need?

confusing requirements here. I assume the mention of microspline is a mistake since that's a 12speed freehub body design and  you're looking for a 10 speed cassette.. Yo also can't fit a 10t cassette to anything other than a Microspline or XD/R freehubs from Shimano and SRAM respectively. )Yes campy and Rotor have their freehub designs as well but they're out of scope here)

3. What is the purpose of the CLUTCH on my existing Shimano XT Derailleur, and how do I know which length it is?

The clutch is to stop the jockey pulley cage articulating too fast. its usually not used on a 2x system and a necessity for a 1x drivetrain. Again I'm not sure what you actually want to achieve

4. I run MAGURA brakes, and MAGURA disks, v. happy with the setup: quite a few 160mm and 180mm disks on offer on the HUB: for my SECOND set of commuting wheels, how do I judge what WILL work, versus what will NOT work, to save trial-and-error?

Just match the rotors to that fitted on the ROVALS.

5. Tubed versus tubeless; my ROVALS are tubeless, and I run tubeless tires on then, no problem there...

The Easton70’s are tubeless, with tubeless (MTB) tires on, which I wish to exchange for decent-width slicks; TUBELSS slicks seem very pricyAND wear quickly (so I have heard?); CWC has tough, Chinese 29”er slicks for R150 a tire, and this could be WAY more affordable AND durable than keeping these rims tubeless, though then 2 different systems on 1 bike, though I carry both repair systems in any case, what say you guys?

Just fit tubeless gravel bike tyres

6. Taking photos now.....have to learn how to downsize photos on iPad....!

To be continued.....

Chris

thanks, D&D, appreciate the comments...

Diesel and Dust - to clarify, I was WRONG in mentioning Microspline, have now learned I do not have a Microspline - and so I learn - thanks!

"confusing requirements here. I assume the mention of Microspline is a mistake since that's a 12speed freehub body design and  you're looking for a 10 speed cassette....."

Cheers, Chris

• 2 weeks later...