Sitting in hospital and thinking:”what now?”

Juls13

Just had double bypass at age 35. Problem is, my favourite sport is mountian biking, specifically freeridng and just jolling in trails. Never the fastest but usually keen to try something that scares the living **** out of me.

Now i find my self thinking how wil i get back ti being that kind of rider? A rider that will wear lycra just for the jol of it, or go for laps around the local pomptrack donning full downhill kit

Im pretty sure that i am not the only person in this situation, so how??? Dis you ever get back after an operation like that. Are chest protectors only able to stop a couple roost rocks from klapping you on the chest or will a protector really be able to help in some way.

I have heard the wire re-attachment ops are fairly common due to guys just not taking the time to heal up propperly.

Any info community

Age 35..and you were living a "healthy" lifestyle?

I figure working out what got you into this position first (yes it could be hereditry) before planning your next moves.

But all the best, there's bikes for everyone but don't ignore the doctors advice

Just had double bypass at age 35. Problem is, my favourite sport is mountian biking, specifically freeridng and just jolling in trails. Never the fastest but usually keen to try something that scares the living **** out of me.

Now i find my self thinking how wil i get back ti being that kind of rider? A rider that will wear lycra just for the jol of it, or go for laps around the local pomptrack donning full downhill kit

Im pretty sure that i am not the only person in this situation, so how??? Dis you ever get back after an operation like that. Are chest protectors only able to stop a couple roost rocks from klapping you on the chest or will a protector really be able to help in some way.

I have heard the wire re-attachment ops are fairly common due to guys just not taking the time to heal up propperly.

Any info community

I'm a critical care paramedic and I'd encourage you to not despair Juls13. An employee and fellow paramedic had his first coronary bypass procedure at 26 and my 83 year old mate Ron had a triple bypass two years ago. Both are well and super active, in fact Ron still keeps up with us going up Lady Slipper. No surprise as he's a geezer with legendary adventures under his belt.

Having your chest sliced through and yanked open a few days ago can't be any fun, mate. 

PS. I'm sure we've ridden the same trails and I'll think of you as I ride along the Baakens Valley for a sundowner ride later. Hang in there mate, I imagine you'll be back in action before long.

I'm a critical care paramedic and I'd encourage you to not despair Juls13. An employee and fellow paramedic had his first coronary bypass procedure at 26 and my 83 year old mate Ron had a triple bypass two years ago. Both are well and super active, in fact Ron still keeps up with us going up Lady Slipper. No surprise as he's a geezer with legendary adventures under his belt.

Having your chest sliced through and yanked open a few days ago can't be any fun, mate.

PS. I'm sure we've ridden the same trails and I'll think of you as I ride along the Baakens Valley for a sundowner ride later. Hang in there mate, I imagine you'll be back in action before long.