Thule EuroWay G2 3 Bike Carrier query

Choppie

I love my roof mount bike racks. Over the weekend we had hassles with the 2 bike Thule version and one bike was a 26er...

JIP !!

The roof rack is (was) our preferred mounting method for longer trips.  SO MUCH better on gravel roads.

Around town we now fit the two bikes inside the wagon.

For the long-weekend I had to dust off the Thule 3-bike rack.  We fitted a 29'er and 26" ... even using the two outermost racks the seat had to be dropped on the 29'er to ensure proper clearance.

YES - we have fitted three bikes before, 1x29 and 2x26, but it is properly 3D-tetris ..... strapping and noodles to protect everything.

PS - discovered a little "anti-theft" trick by accident this weekend.  With the very upright rear window of our current vehicle the handle bar is close to it, and I have on a previous trip heard it touch the window going over bumps ....  :eek:   This time I fitted the bike, then un-did the stem bolts, twist the bars 60-degrees, tighten the stem.  Before removing the bike I straightened the bar and torqued the bolts.  Now if some "individual" removed my bike, good luck in trying to ride away with the twisted bar ....  :whistling:   It adds 20 seconds to the process, and adds SO much extra security.  :thumbup:

The secret is to never do 106km rides like me. I do battle at times, especially with the higher roof racks on my SUV.

Hiehie ....

And if you are a "kort gat", with a SUV .... get a proper fold open 2-step ladder to get the bikes on the roof .... :whistling:  :ph34r:

Bit of a trick to lift the bike over your head, find your balance, then up one step, place the wheels, up one more step, tilt the bike and place the Thule bracket over the down tube .... 

Actually saw a guy removing his son's bike at Bloemendal .... stepping back he lost control for a brief moment .... NEARLY dropped the bike on the car behind him !!  :eek:   expensive German car at that ...

I'm in the market for a new towball bike carrier. I require something that could carry 3 MTB's.

Will the Thule Euroway G2 3 bike carrier actually fit 3 MTB's or is there something else from Thule that would work better?

Anyone with experience with these... would appreciate your feedback before I make a decision.

I pack 3 bikes. 1/29” full suspension 1/26” hardtail and 1/20”. Don't know what will happen with a second 26”, will find out soon. But can’t foresee any issue. I think 3/29” full suspensions might be a puzzle build.

I have the Thule Euroway G2 3-bike 

Works perfectly loading  two XL mountain bikes in a minute    

It take some testing to get three on and some hollow pool noodles cut halfway , make excellent protection between one bikes shocks and others chain stay. some half pool-noodle between handlebars and seat helps to.

If they are the same bikes each time you will get order worked out easily .

Have a 3-bike Thule rack. 3 bikes fit just fine. On my previous Holdfast rack I needed to adjust one set of gutters (or whatever the correct terminology ... the things that cradle the wheels) left, the other right to have handbags clear seats etc. The Thule is far more fluid in set up and the wheel ratchets can easily be adjust one way or the other to create adequate separation of the 2/3 bikes. I've been buying Thule stuff for over 20 years (roof racks, luggage box) and cannot imagine better designed and easier-to-use kit. Expensive as it is it last very well and is well designed and user friendly. 

I could never fit more than 2 mtbs on the 3 bike carrier from Thule. It all depends on the shape of your frame. My problem was that I could never get the arms to clamp the frames in the right places. I recon 3 road bikes, or 3 hardtails will fit easily. But, if you have 3 dual suspension mtbs, just take them with to a Thule shop and test fit to see for yourself.

Anyone ever fit a fourth bike adaptor onto a EuroWay G2 three bike carrier? 

Can only find info on fourth bike adaptor for 3-bike Velocompact but can't see a reason why it won't fit on a 3-bike Euroway....?

I could never fit more than 2 mtbs on the 3 bike carrier from Thule. It all depends on the shape of your frame. My problem was that I could never get the arms to clamp the frames in the right places. I recon 3 road bikes, or 3 hardtails will fit easily. But, if you have 3 dual suspension mtbs, just take them with to a Thule shop and test fit to see for yourself.

Now try to fit TWO bikes on a THREE bike carrier, when one is an ebike, with the oversized downtube for the battery ....

certainly NOT Thule's fault, still great "fun" .... :whistling:

that said, you wont need a gym workout if you mount an ebike on a roof rack ... :eek:  :eek: