Can some 26inch MTB frames fit 700c wheels ?

Stavros94

Thanks for all the wisdom and advice ! Definitely going to go disk. Iv seen it done with old hybrid frames with canter lever breaks but I want my build to be somewhat “trick”

I still have not found the frame to work with yet. Don’t just want to use any old frame. So if anyone hears of anything PM me !

My "not" gravel bike, as per the collective Hub wisdom", runs 700x50C on 29" rims. :thumbup: :clap:

But that is actually not the OP's question .... :whistling: He wants to know if it will fit inside a 26" frame. The answer to that question seems to vary between different frames .... :oops:

Maybe the OP needs to confirm the exact frame details (sorry, dont recall if this was posted). Test fitting a set to the frame may be the best way to be 100% sure.

I still haven’t found the frame I want to use. I really want the build to be some what special and kitted with some nice components.

If anyone knows of a frame out there hiding the the rafters of someone’s shed PM me !

I am working on a gravel project based on a 26" frame at the moment. The wheels are easy enough - a 700c or 29er rim with a gravel oriented tyre seems to fit the rear triangle quite easily, and the fork I'm replacing anyway so there's no issue on the wheels front. The BB is going to be quite high, and the seat tube is a little steep, but that doesn't worry me too much if the rest works out.

What has been a little awkward is finding the right crank/chainrings to put on the frame - a road-oriented crank does not clear the rear stays when fitted, and MTB cranksets tend to run too-small chainrings for a gravel build. E.g. 36-26 is just too small for gravel, and 50-38 doesn't fit. I'm currently planning a 4-bolt 46t single 'SAINT' chainring on an SLX crank, but that's only because I have it in the cupboard. I don't think you'll find much in that size for sale.

The other thing that's bugging me is how the front end is going to work out. I have a low A2C rigid fork on the way (ebay), but I'm gambling a little with fork trail and stem length is a guess (might end up quite short). Much as I've tried to work out the final geometry I think I'm only really going to know the answer once the whole thing is built.

Am also starting a (slow) Gravel build, using a donated Spez S-Works full suss 26’er, shock can be locked out.....

...am surprised someone is not bringing in a range of Rigid forks, with a few A2C heights, unless anyone knows different.

Chris

Am also starting a (slow) Gravel build, using a donated Spez S-Works full suss 26’er, shock can be locked out.....

...am surprised someone is not bringing in a range of Rigid forks, with a few A2C heights, unless anyone knows different.

Chris

Kean Bikes. They are on instagram. Very helpful bunch and bring in all sorts of gravel and mtb carbon parts including a variety of different rigid fork options. I haven’t bought from them, but have asked for quotes and it was very reasonable.