Best starter MTB

JH Weideman

Hi All

Please advise if a cannondale trail 7 will be a good beginner bike, also please suggest alternatives, my budget is 4k and it seems I can get good 2nd hand options on the above mentioned bike, 

Thanks in advance 

Thank you for the advice. Had a old reflex back in 2001, took me to school and back everyday for 4 years and never a problem!. 

If I may ask further advice as there's a few options, what would be a good model to go for. I'm 1.88m tall. Big build. So I take it a 26 or 29er large frame would be best?.. my plan is to do mostly trail riding and would upgrade once I am fitter and maybe do some weekend races for fun....

Thank you again 

1 minute ago, KIDWEIDEMAN said:

Thank you for the advice. Had a old reflex back in 2001, took me to school and back everyday for 4 years and never a problem!. 

If I may ask further advice as there's a few options, what would be a good model to go for. I'm 1.88m tall. Big build. So I take it a 26 or 29er large frame would be best?.. my plan is to do mostly trail riding and would upgrade once I am fitter and maybe do some weekend races for fun....

Thank you again 

Me personally I would go for a 29er (maybe other Hubbers will say 26er), and I say that purely because I would like to get another 29er to get back into MTB.

Perhaps have a look at this to give you an idea about which size frame would suit you best:

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/sizing-and-fit/mountain-bike-sizing-what-size-bike-do-i-need/

55 minutes ago, KIDWEIDEMAN said:

Thank you again 

I’m 1.9m and have found that my L Cannondale Trail 2 with 29" wheels is undersized.  It feels as if I’m sitting a bit too “on top” of it.  A recently acquired XL Trek is a far better fit.  At your height I’d strongly advise focusing on XL’s, and when you’re ready having a bike fit at your local bike shop.  At any rate try riding several before forking out the cash, in that way you’ll know when it’s a good fit.  Excellent idea to pay attention to drivetrain components when buying a used piece, components are expensive to replace.  Don’t hesitate to ask a friend or anyone on here (with pics).  

Don’t be surprised when you soon feel the need to upgrade so that you can shred trails harder and faster.

Edited by justinafrika

1 hour ago, justinafrika said:

I’m 1.9m and have found that my L Cannondale Trail 2 with 29" wheels is undersized.  It feels as if I’m sitting a bit too “on top” of it.  A recently acquired XL Trek is a far better fit.  At your height I’d strongly advise focusing on XL’s, and when you’re ready having a bike fit at your local bike shop.  At any rate try riding several before forking out the cash, in that way you’ll know when it’s a good fit.  Excellent idea to pay attention to drivetrain components when buying a used piece, components are expensive to replace.  Don’t hesitate to ask a friend or anyone on here (with pics).  

Don’t be surprised when you soon feel the need to upgrade so that you can shred trails harder and faster.

Hi , duly noted and thank you for the great advice, I have a feeling that you might be right, I really feel the need to start ASAP and build from there. Will definitely ask advice as needed, made good progress today via the help from you guys and from reading up.

Thanks