Towbar for Ford Fiesta ST

ridohg

1 minute ago, Thermophage said:

Nope. Most Fiestas are completely TB compatible. It's the suspension and exhaust changes on teh ST model specifically and rear bumper/body that interfer.

Also the rear spoiler makes any hang on rear not feasible as it pulls onto the spoiler.

He currently has one but  bike isn't stable on this thule hang on type.

With most towbars, has to cut away the middle of the rear bumper.

I'm his brother,  not a stalker lol

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, MajG said:

Also the rear spoiler makes any hang on rear not feasible as it pulls onto the spoiler.

That's ignorance...The straps on the Thule Freeride go nowhere near the rear spoiler, even after I added a lift kit to the rear of mine.

My bike is a good 18kg with water bottles, lights etc and is again, fully stable on the rack. Again, people love to blame the tool when they don't understand how to use it. But anyhoo, that's me out

3 minutes ago, MajG said:

What kinda vehicle do you have - cant you just cart your brother along everywhere ????

10 minutes ago, Darryllk said:

What kinda vehicle do you have - cant you just cart your brother along everywhere ????

That is exactly what I'm doing already lol, goes with me.

@Thermophage he doesn't have thule freeride,  has these hang on rear type Thule racks. And has made the necessary adjustment to not hang off the rear roof spoiler to avoid the damages.

But look at how the wheel bases of the thule rack bent out of shape just due to windforce driving from claremont to tokai.

Screenshot_20211028-163639_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20211028-163628_WhatsApp.jpg

11 minutes ago, MajG said:

That is exactly what I'm doing already lol, goes with me.

@Thermophage he doesn't have thule freeride,  has these hang on rear type Thule racks. And has made the necessary adjustment to not hang off the rear roof spoiler to avoid the damages.

But look at how the wheel bases of the thule rack bent out of shape just due to windforce driving from claremont to tokai.

Fair enough, but not what you mentioned earlier when you said "all hang on would interfere with the spoiler".

Look, tbh, he's better off getting something like the Freeride or a different car if he want's to get around the current problem then :P

Will he use the towbar for anything else ?

Worth considering the Thule roof rack options.  For the next vehicle it is just a new set of "foot packs", a LOT cheaper than yet another towbar.

For most trips the "platform rack" is simply the easiest to use though.

It wont be the Hub if we did not come back with an unsolicited answer .... :whistling:

23 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

Fair enough, but not what you mentioned earlier when you said "all hang on would interfere with the spoiler".

Look, tbh, he's better off getting something like the Freeride or a different car if he want's to get around the current problem then :P

Apologies for that, as he is the way way way more technical engineer tool type dude than I will ever be 

Roof racks is what I have,  freerides and they awesome. 

@ChrisF I agree roof racks is best options but as per thule he needs some stabilizer bar between the 2 wing bars due to some issue with the short roof of the ST....not to sure.

But the towbar rack is just so much better as he has that on his wifes SUV.

And what makes him want it more, I had my bike on the roof racks this wknd, and a overhanging branch  strategically hit my brake lever, into pieces.

My dumb @ss  took different way home and bhammmm????????????...

Anyhows this fool can come reply to his own thread @ridohg

2 hours ago, ouzo said:

is the car still under warranty ? If so check with Ford what fitting the t/bar will do to your warranty

Ford does not have towbar for st

Also they say it will void warranty, mine is out of warranty though

2 hours ago, Darko said:

If he's specifically referring to the current generation ST, it's a 1.6 Turbo engine. If he's referring to the previous generation ST, it's a 2l naturally aspirated engine. He's fine in terms of laws. 

Rack N Road have specials going: 

@ridohg

https://www.towbarsrus.co.za/towbar-2-bike-hang-on-rack-combo-deal-save-r1000/

Mailed them too , seen brink on one or 2 5door fiesta's

27 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Will he use the towbar for anything else ?

Worth considering the Thule roof rack options.  For the next vehicle it is just a new set of "foot packs", a LOT cheaper than yet another towbar.

For most trips the "platform rack" is simply the easiest to use though.

It wont be the Hub if we did not come back with an unsolicited answer .... :whistling:

Only for bike , I have a van to pull a trailer

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I have tried numerous Supaquick and other towbar places in Cape town and surrounds but no one had anything for the ST.

There is a place in Jhb who makes towbars for st, but they want me to bring vehicle to Jhb to fit which is slightly inconvenient.

13 minutes ago, MajG said:

Apologies for that, as he is the way way way more technical engineer tool type dude than I will ever be 

Roof racks is what I have,  freerides and they awesome. 

@ChrisF I agree roof racks is best options but as per thule he needs some stabilizer bar between the 2 wing bars due to some issue with the short roof of the ST....not to sure.

But the towbar rack is just so much better as he has that on his wifes SUV.

And what makes him want it more, I had my bike on the roof racks this wknd, and a overhanging branch  strategically hit my brake lever, into pieces.

My dumb @ss  took different way home and bhammmm????????????...

Anyhows this fool can come reply to his own thread @ridohg

Shot bro been in meetings

It's a damn shame we do not get these here in SA.

The only issue seems to be exhaust noise which can be resolved by changing out to stiffer hangers

IMG_20211028_175900.jpg

IMG_20211028_175818.jpg