Towbar for Ford Fiesta ST

ridohg

Hi All

Has anyone here had luck in getting a towbar fitted to a fiesta ST?

This will only be for a bike rack as the rear mounted ones or roofrack options and seem way too expensive for this vehicle.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's against the law for a car under 1lt to have a tow bar fitted. Maybe this is why it's not a common thing to find for a Fiesta (most are the 3 cylinder 900cc I think) 

Not that we follow the law in this neck of the woods... 

Edited by 117
Typo's

If there is no genuine approved option available don't bother. There are suppliers that will make one to fit, but it will make contact with other parts of the car and rattle. Speaking from experience here

is the car still under warranty ? If so check with Ford what fitting the t/bar will do to your warranty

1 hour ago, 117 said:

It's against the law for a car under 1lt to have a tow bar fitted. Maybe this is why it's not a common thing to find for a Fiesta (most are the 3 cylinder 900cc I think) 

If he's specifically referring to the current generation ST, it's a 1.6 Turbo engine. If he's referring to the previous generation ST, it's a 2l naturally aspirated engine. He's fine in terms of laws. 

Rack N Road have specials going: 

@ridohg

https://www.towbarsrus.co.za/towbar-2-bike-hang-on-rack-combo-deal-save-r1000/

Might be cheaper to go back to the initial too expensive rear mounted hanger instead

https://www.cyclelab.com/product/holdfast-boot-carrier-3-bike-rack?utm_campaign=14831418371&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=549264619896&utm_term=&adgroupid=131531196687&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlOmLBhCHARIsAGiJg7n-xi6FE3JAFCsZqJrOSlQXR5X3PHaLoDI7aqZFTU-TIx3eM3WSyK8aAjpjEALw_wcB

And, you cab get a happy happy special from CL on their specials thread here too

Edited by 117

I've had a Fiesta ST180 since new in 2013...Firstly an amazing car and now going on 180 000km without fault  :)

Secondly...as okes say, no stock towbar, but anyone with some knowhow could fabricate one IMO that would be plenty strong for 2 bikes and a rack.

Personally I just use the Thule Freeride or something clip on and after many years it has cause no damage. Granted, I have some clear vinyl on the boot where the feet directly touch the paint (yellow area below in the OOOOLD pic). But that's simple enough.

image.png.bac44bb7a14cabe7a2c8d81f0ef783e4.png

2 hours ago, 117 said:

Non of the Fiesta ST's have ever been sub 1l mos. Even the 1l EcoBoost @ 92kW was above that. Is there even a sub-1l Fiesta? OR is that Figo territory?

34 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

Non of the Fiesta ST's have ever been sub 1l mos. Even the 1l EcoBoost @ 92kW was above that. Is there even a sub-1l Fiesta? OR is that Figo territory?

Perhaps figo territory too - the point being that Fiesta's have the same size body with different engine capacities. This is probably why they didnt make a TB for it as most engine sizes were 1lt or less

3 minutes ago, 117 said:

Perhaps figo territory too - the point being that Fiesta's have the same size body with different engine capacities. This is probably why they didnt make a TB for it as most engine sizes were 1lt or less

Nope. Most Fiestas are completely TB compatible. It's the suspension and exhaust changes on teh ST model specifically and rear bumper/body that interfer.

1 hour ago, Darko said:

If he's specifically referring to the current generation ST, it's a 1.6 Turbo engine. If he's referring to the previous generation ST, it's a 2l naturally aspirated engine. He's fine in terms of laws. 

@ridohg

https://www.towbarsrus.co.za/towbar-2-bike-hang-on-rack-comb

40 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

o-deal-save-r1000/

He has the current generation fiesta ST and wants a flat rack, not keen on those hang on top tube types.

1 hour ago, Darko said:

@ridohg

https://www.towbarsrus.co.za/towbar-2-bike-hang-on-rack-combo-deal-save-r1000/

Current gen is a 1.5 3 cylinder turbo, prev (mine) was 1.6 4 cyl turbo, and the PREV PREV was the 2.0l :) But yeah, nothing wrong with the hang racks IMO so long as you know how to use your tool it wont damage your car OR your bike.