CE22 Prologue Route

RichA

Hi.  I was hoping to try to plot (an approximate) gpx for the Prologue Route based off the route profile.

0km Lourensford
5km Canarie
7km Rasta
11km Unknown peak
17km Young Bafana
19km Witboom
22km Ultimate
24km Lourensford

Does anyone know these sections? Have any details of how best to do this?

Many thanks

3 hours ago, RichA said:

Hi.  I was hoping to try to plot (an approximate) gpx for the Prologue Route based off the route profile.

0km Lourensford
5km Canarie
7km Rasta
11km Unknown peak
17km Young Bafana
19km Witboom
22km Ultimate
24km Lourensford

Does anyone know these sections? Have any details of how best to do this?

Many thanks

Chances are slim as the trails are very exclusive, only 500 memberships made available, not open to the public except when you ride with a member at R145 for a day permit. We did parts of it with the recent Wines 2 Whales MTB event. I just checked Strava segments now for that event and none of them pop up.

Do you want to simulate it on the indoor trainer or similar trail?

This Profile looks like it forms part of it 

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/main-loop-247785/

47 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

Do you want to simulate it on the indoor trainer or similar trail?

Yes; I wanted to use the gpx in Best Bike Split to create a power plan; and then create a Trainer workout.

53 minutes ago, RichA said:

Yes; I wanted to use the gpx in Best Bike Split to create a power plan; and then create a Trainer workout.

Ah ok cool, good luck I’ll let you know if I happen to ride it sometime before the prologue.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, TeamBaja said:

Nice, is that singletrack or fireroad(access dirt roads) as they are called in America. 

As far as I can tell; I did it to get a feel for the challenge ahead; and to create an estimated workout for the trainer. 

• 3 weeks later...

We are riding the Prologue route on Saturday.. friends did it last weekend - apparently nothing too technical, nothing close to plumb pudding.. only thing to look out for is a few off-camber corners that can catch you out at speed.

also lots of space for overtaking. Not that that would be an issue for us, we are the 5th or 6th slowest team starting the prologue at 07:32:30 haha

9 hours ago, JohanDiv said:

We are riding the Prologue route on Saturday.. friends did it last weekend - apparently nothing too technical, nothing close to plumb pudding.. only thing to look out for is a few off-camber corners that can catch you out at speed.

also lots of space for overtaking. Not that that would be an issue for us, we are the 5th or 6th slowest team starting the prologue at 07:32:30 haha

From what I ca tell I think it will be a good course for a Prologue. You want to make sure everyone gets to the end in a shape to start Stage 1! And there will be plenty of opportunity to push on the climbs to get ready for the hard days ahead.

Do you have a Strava link to your friends ride? Be interesting to see. 

I wouldn’t worry about your start time. Just based off an estimate; plenty of riders will have been over-ambitious in how quickly they can complete the course. 

19 minutes ago, RichA said:

From what I ca tell I think it will be a good course for a Prologue. You want to make sure everyone gets to the end in a shape to start Stage 1! And there will be plenty of opportunity to push on the climbs to get ready for the hard days ahead.

Do you have a Strava link to your friends ride? Be interesting to see. 

I wouldn’t worry about your start time. Just based off an estimate; plenty of riders will have been over-ambitious in how quickly they can complete the course. 

The route builder said it would be interesting to see the pro's blasting through that off-camber sections.. for us slow-going backmarkers it wouldn't be too much of an issue I guess.

Here is the Strava route I made from his activity. They did the Prologue plus an extra Stage 1 climb on Saturday.. 

https://www.strava.com/routes/2936896968458378784

On 3/9/2022 at 9:00 PM, JohanDiv said:

Have fun tomorrow.  Let us know how you get on/your impressions of the route. 

Quick qu. How do you get a pass to ride at Lourensford? Was thinking I might try next Friday as Saturday feels too close to be doing an 1h30 ride…