Silverback Sola 3 Drivetrain Upgrade Advice

WynandvW

Hi all.

I need some advice with regards to upgrading the drivetrain on my Silverback Sola 3 2016 model. The drivetrain components are giving problems and I want to replace them.

Currently it is a 3x10 group set. Preferably I would like to replace it with a 1x12 group set.

I would like to go with SRAM SX Eagle or NX Eagle. Apparently the SX range is in short supply. I am also willing to look at a Shimano 1x12 group set.

1. Firstly, my main question is. Is it possible for my bike to be converted to a 1x12 group set? (I do realize that I may have to replace a lot of components.)
  2. What will the typical components be and the costs involved? (I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on such an entry level bike.)

The advice I received so far was that it will be cheaper to buy a new or second hand bike that already has a 1x12 group set, rather than converting my current bike.

My current bike's drivetrain specs are as follows:

• Crankset: Shimano FC-M522. 42/32/24T, L: 175mm ALL SIZES, Black
  • Cassette: Shimano CS-HG50, 10 speed, 11-36T, Silver
  • Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX RD-M675 Shadow Plus, Long Cage, 10 Speed
  • Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore FD-M610, Triple, Clamp-on 34.9mm, Silver
  • Shifters: Shimano Deore SL-M610, 3x10, Trigger, Black
  • Rear Hub: Rear: Shimano FH-RM3050, Centre Lock Disc Mount, Adjustable cup and cone angular contact bearings, Cassette, Black
  • Front Hub: Front: Shimano HB-RM35, Centre Lock Disc Mount Adjustable cup and cone angular contact bearings, 9mm Axle, Black

Looking forward to all the advice.

Cheers.

Depends mostly on your rear hub ( for sure the front one doesnt matter... #justsayin)

You'll need a new chainring, new chain and new shifter to suit the 1x11 or 1 x 12 on the back  (new - I mean you wont be able to use the gear you've got). If I'm not mistaken, that crank is a 104BCD (ala 3x shimano) which means you'll have to get suitable 104BCD narrow wide chain ring up front. 

image.png.429d49512fb22d5762c62c17ea46ca5f.png

But you will enjoy the 1x?? conversion - less politics up front in the cockpit. 

Edited by 117
edit for bcd size

Welcome to the HUB

1, Yes it can be done, NX 1 x 12(11-50) cassette will fit on your hub. You'll have to check if a single chainring can fit your crank.

2. Shop around for parts but stock is a problem. Consider 1 x 11 also, lots of 2nd hand gear available.

Edited by bullet77

I have done a 1x conversion on that crank, think I used a wolf chainring with Simano Zee derailleur (The whole conversion cost me around R2000) And keeping it 1x10 also reduces cost, as you can re-use the shifter. I wont spend too much extra, as there may be better value for money upgrades on the bike

About R4500 for a 1x11 conversion.

Narrow-wide ring

New shifter and derailure

11 speed cassette 

New chain

Less than an hour to install

Only difference to a 1x12 ...

Bigger gaps between SOME of the gears.

And it just WORKS.

YES, I am a 1x11 fanboy ... after owning two brand new sram GX systems