Knees and pain

LBKloppers

I had an accident yesterday, ended up almost doing the splits with my back leg bent and knee twisted laterally. It hurt but I walked it off and it was Ok for most of the day but got more stiff and sore towards the end of the day. After consulting Dr Google, it definitely sounds like a MCL sprain or tear and I'm just trying to ascertain whether it's bad enough to go to a doc or whether ice and rest will sort it out. It's not bruised at all and only very slightly swollen and I can put full body weight on the leg without a problem but it does hurt to bend or straighten the leg. Pain is very localised to the MCL.

Anybody that's had MCL sprains and / or tears, does that sound like a sprain, grade 1 or 2 tear? 

7 minutes ago, devocean said:

I had an accident yesterday, ended up almost doing the splits with my back leg bent and knee twisted laterally. It hurt but I walked it off and it was Ok for most of the day but got more stiff and sore towards the end of the day. After consulting Dr Google, it definitely sounds like a MCL sprain or tear and I'm just trying to ascertain whether it's bad enough to go to a doc or whether ice and rest will sort it out. It's not bruised at all and only very slightly swollen and I can put full body weight on the leg without a problem but it does hurt to bend or straighten the leg. Pain is very localised to the MCL.

Anybody that's had MCL sprains and / or tears, does that sound like a sprain, grade 1 or 2 tear? 

Wife had a scooter accident, badly bent her knee the wrong way ... she was in PAIN.

Ambulance paramedic did his checks and said she is fine: "Take a few pain pills.  It will be okay"

Later that night ER and scans showed torn ligaments.  She had an operation the next day.

Point being - a knee is a bugger to diagnose without "seeing" what is going on .... rather get to a Dr and get a proper diagnosis.  HOPE it is just a "sprain", and nothing serious.

I didn't read all the replies, but go to a bio and get muscle imbalances worked on. 

I'm 30, but I have had 2 slipped discs in my back, torn ligaments in my right shoulder, 2 surgeries on my left knee (badly torn meniscus), and most recently, surgery on my right knee - again really badly torn meniscus and issues with a popliteus tendon which ended up with me 4 months on crutches, another month on one crutch. I am now at 6 months post op and I am riding again, but I don't know if you can call what I am doing riding at all - more like crawling along painfully and then really slowly and carefully descending.

Point I am trying to get to, is that I have been going to a bio for the last 3 months, and the improvements that has allowed me to make is just incomparable than what I I would have been able to make on my own. They see things you don't even know to look for, and know how to tackle those imbalances without buggering up other things. No reading up on the internet will ever match their expertise...

Post this injury I will keep going at least once a month to address all my other issues. It's expensive, but if it allows me to cycle pain free I am gonna bite the bullet and just do it. Go for a few sessions, and you will quickly see it is worth it.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

51 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

I didn't read all the replies, but go to a bio and get muscle imbalances worked on. 

I'm 30, but I have had 2 slipped discs in my back, torn ligaments in my right shoulder, 2 surgeries on my left knee (badly torn meniscus), and most recently, surgery on my right knee - again really badly torn meniscus and issues with a popliteus tendon which ended up with me 4 months on crutches, another month on one crutch. I am now at 6 months post op and I am riding again, but I don't know if you can call what I am doing riding at all - more like crawling along painfully and then really slowly and carefully descending.

Point I am trying to get to, is that I have been going to a bio for the last 3 months, and the improvements that has allowed me to make is just incomparable than what I I would have been able to make on my own. They see things you don't even know to look for, and know how to tackle those imbalances without buggering up other things. No reading up on the internet will ever match their expertise...

Post this injury I will keep going at least once a month to address all my other issues. It's expensive, but if it allows me to cycle pain free I am gonna bite the bullet and just do it. Go for a few sessions, and you will quickly see it is worth it.

Do yourself a favour ....  keep record of "Step 1" exercise, and "Step 2", etc ....

24 months down the line I got in a habit of doing "some exercises" on a regular basis .... (not) surprisingly my knee started acting up again a few weeks back.

Turns out I was doing core and stretch exercises, and have omitted the knee exercises ....:cursing:

Now in the second week of back to basics .... :whistling:

FULLY agree with you, a good bio is GOOD !!!