Road tubeless repair/kit/tech recommendations?

EddieV

4 minutes ago, dirkp71@gmail.com said:

What a schlepp in my view. Firstly you pay double the price for a tubeless tyre and then the repairs are twice as complicated. Will rather stick to by tyre plus inner tube combo than have to go through this schlepp and expense.

As with most things there are pros and cons. When you commute you get forced into the side on the road regularly, into debris, as opposed to your early morning 5am training rides when you can ride well inside the clear road.

In my opinion, when you commute, going tubeless is the way to go. My tubeless Gavia's lasts me a few thousand km's before I have to replace them, and saved me from roadside repair many times. But yes, when you do fail, it can be spectacular sometimes. And as for repair of large holes, I have not been very successful to date.

10 minutes ago, Jbr said:

a tube is R50, if you ride 300km a week you're likely going to go through one tube a week, what are you talking about. In 15000km on tubeless I must have applied maybe 5 patches

agreed, and dont buy ultra light racing tyres or cheap tubeless tyres for our roads.

Plus there is always the option to just pop a tube in anyway.

20 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Wow, I used to use number 1 when I was younger. My dad would take me to the local co-op to buy it. where can you get it these days ?

Also where can one get number 3 ?

#1 i bought at the SportsmansWarehouse. They also sell it in  the Weldtite tube repair kit but its the black patch and they're precut. The red patch I bought in a roll about 3 years ago and I think I got it at Midas

#3 I bought at Picknpay, from the hardware aisle

8 minutes ago, ouzo said:

agreed, and dont buy ultra light racing tyres or cheap tubeless tyres for our roads.

Plus there is always the option to just pop a tube in anyway.

yes, just don't try to remove road Mavic tubeless tyre from a Mavic rim without tyre levers next to the road .... most tyres you can pop off and on again with your hands, not those Mavic's though 😬

Edited by EddieV

7 minutes ago, EddieV said:

yes, just don't try to remove road Mavic tubeless tyre from a Mavic rim without tyre levers next to the road .... most tyres you can pop off and on again with your hands, not those Mavic's though 😬

strangely enough I carry tyre levers  but no spare tube

36 minutes ago, dirkp71@gmail.com said:

What a schlepp in my view. Firstly you pay double the price for a tubeless tyre and then the repairs are twice as complicated. Will rather stick to by tyre plus inner tube combo than have to go through this schlepp and expense.

It may sound like a schlepp, but its offset by the times that the sealant does its job (or I plug & bomb the tyre) and I don't have to stop and change a tube on the side of the road.
Its also offset by the lower pressure (more comfort and grip) and fewer pinch flats.

Patching an inner tube is not dramatically less of a mission than patching the tyre.