Road tubeless repair/kit/tech recommendations?

EddieV

I've done 2 repairs before on 700 x 25c and 700 x 28c tyres, and both times the plug influenced the ride quality thereafter.

(On a MTB the protruding plug is not a problem)

Anyone have recommendations/success stories, on tubeless "road" tyre specific repairs when the damage was too severe for the sealant to do it's job?

Edited by EddieV

The plugs is only to get you home, for long lasting repairs you have to clean the area inside the tyre and apply a patch.

https://www.takealot.com/bicycle-repair-kit-tools-and-hardware-recyclable/PLID73770485?gclid=CjwKCAiA55mPBhBOEiwANmzoQo2WLDseq_Fym2ScSkz0mtgxYPRF4B_O5GrQEhl6LLsCV5sjaFJwcxoCeOYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The other day I had a tiny hole that wouldn't seal due to sealant being all dry in the tyre, we ended up patching it on the road side and this worked very well, I was very sceptical, but it worked ! (These are also probably just to get you home, I still have doubt on the efficiency on the long run)

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/slime-skabs-6-x-1-patches/?gclid=CjwKCAiA55mPBhBOEiwANmzoQhrKOX79rrKmLyDZeXtdof4_tD7mpUuCsBADJe_sKXU4HG7d69k2txoCcasQAvD_BwE

Edited by Jbr

4 minutes ago, Jbr said:

The plugs is only to get you home, for long lasting repairs you have to clean the area inside the tyre and apply a patch.

Thx, which brand patch would you recommend  for road tyres? I've tried all kinds of ways to get patches to stick to the inside of road tyres .... what do you use?

10 minutes ago, EddieV said:

That looks promising, 

I have a bottle, but (thankfully) never had to use it.

Any self vulcanizing patch should work. Make sure you clean the inside of the tyre properly, give a light sand to roughen up the surface wipe with rubbing alcohol apply glue then patch and leave to cure.

I have used the approach quite often with good results. In some cases if the cut is fairly large it will work but eventually patch will get pushed out due to air pressure. In these cases you could try stitch the cut with fine nylon cotton, but normally his wont last long either and ultimately tyre need to be thrown away.

I have never used plugs on my tubeless road setup. When have a hole that does not seal whilst out riding I use a tube with gator on the inside.

36 minutes ago, EddieV said:

Thx, which brand patch would you recommend  for road tyres? I've tried all kinds of ways to get patches to stick to the inside of road tyres .... what do you use?

I use a Icetoolz repair kit at the moment, but I usually run out of glue (or it dries) before I used all the patches, so I have A LOT of patches from different kits at the moment, I don't think it matters so much, just make sure your patches are quite thick, and that you don't put 9 psi on a tyre that was patched for a big hole, your patch will probably go through the hole.

What matters is how well you clean the surface, apply the patch and let it dry before you ad your sealant and inflat the whole thing again.

47 minutes ago, Jbr said:

https://www.takealot.com/bicycle-repair-kit-tools-and-hardware-recyclable/PLID73770485?gclid=CjwKCAiA55mPBhBOEiwANmzoQo2WLDseq_Fym2ScSkz0mtgxYPRF4B_O5GrQEhl6LLsCV5sjaFJwcxoCeOYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The other day I had a tiny hole that wouldn't seal due to sealant being all dry in the tyre, we ended up patching it on the road side and this worked very well, I was very sceptical, but it worked ! (These are also probably just to get you home, I still have doubt on the efficiency on the long run)

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/slime-skabs-6-x-1-patches/?gclid=CjwKCAiA55mPBhBOEiwANmzoQhrKOX79rrKmLyDZeXtdof4_tD7mpUuCsBADJe_sKXU4HG7d69k2txoCcasQAvD_BwE

Thank you

Seems my patches was too small maybe? This is a Mavic Yksion Tubeless tyre that I tried to patch, but eventually just started leaking again.

yksion.jpg

You guys leave the plastic on your patches ? it seems you're not using sealant ?

I remove the patch from both sides, apply a lot of glue on the cleaned and roughened area, more than I need to, when I apply the patch I move it around to make sure there's glue all over even outside of where the patch is, then leave it for 5-10 mins. Then top up my sealant and put it all back together

Edited by Jbr

26 minutes ago, Jbr said:

You guys leave the plastic on your patches ? it seems you're not using sealant ?

I remove the patch from both sides, apply a lot of glue on the cleaned and roughened area, more than I need to, when I apply the patch I move it around to make sure there's glue all over even outside of where the patch is, then leave it for 5-10 mins. Then top up my sealant and put it all back together

Yes, I leave the plastic, for no reason though.

I do use Stan's Race Sealant, but when I remove the tires I wash them thoroughly.

I will use your method in future. 

There are a few important pieces of kit required to repair roadd tubeless tyres.

1) a red football bladder vulcanising patch that can be cut to size and shape

2) rubber cement

3) Rubber infused cyanoacrylate like Loctite Super Glue Power Flex Formula.

For small holes andcuts apply the rubber vulcanising cement to the plug.

If its a cut apply the patch to the inside of the tyre and then seal the outside with the Loctite super glue (rubber infused formula.

13 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

There are a few important pieces of kit required to repair roadd tubeless tyres.

1) a red football bladder vulcanising patch that can be cut to size and shape

2) rubber cement

3) Rubber infused cyanoacrylate like Loctite Super Glue Power Flex Formula.

For small holes andcuts apply the rubber vulcanising cement to the plug.

If its a cut apply the patch to the inside of the tyre and then seal the outside with the Loctite super glue (rubber infused formula.

Wow, I used to use number 1 when I was younger. My dad would take me to the local co-op to buy it. where can you get it these days ?

Also where can one get number 3 ?

2 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Wow, I used to use number 1 when I was younger. My dad would take me to the local co-op to buy it. where can you get it these days ?

Also where can one get number 3 ?

I'm just glad you didn't ask about Diesel's number two.........

What a schlepp in my view. Firstly you pay double the price for a tubeless tyre and then the repairs are twice as complicated. Will rather stick to by tyre plus inner tube combo than have to go through this schlepp and expense.

2 minutes ago, dirkp71@gmail.com said:

What a schlepp in my view. Firstly you pay double the price for a tubeless tyre and then the repairs are twice as complicated. Will rather stick to by tyre plus inner tube combo than have to go through this schlepp and expense.

a tube is R50, if you ride 300km a week you're likely going to go through one tube a week, what are you talking about. In 15000km on tubeless I must have applied maybe 5 patches

Edited by Jbr