Body Protection - Knee Pads, Elbow Pads, etc.

Hotdegree

Hi Guy's & Gal's

So i have just done my first Holla trails,  Green route a week back and loved it. Going for round 2 this weekend. No falls yet, but surely it will come, So I was thinking of getting at least some knee pads for now. What would you recommend as I need it to be easy for pedaling as well some basic protection. I don't see myself doing hectic trails just yet but who knows. Only just started riding again about 2 months back so building my fitness up. Out of curiosity how many of you wear body protection?

The Fox range aint to bad. I have their lightest kit (Enduro sleeve range) and it does give some extra confidence - also very comfortable . Although I haven't fallen with them yet to test their protection.

Knee and elbow pads should be fine for easy trails. But wear what makes you feel comfortable. Also know, that no matter how many pads you wear, it still hurts when you meet mother earth

I use kneepads on almost every ride. Minimal extra effort and impact on feel during a ride, but so worth it every time you go down
Use to have G-Forms (those yellow ones - proper ninja turtle) which you forget you are wearing after a bit and bearable in Boland summers.
They offered decent protection - had a few slides on them.
I now have the Ion K-Pact Zip which I think is a great design.
I zip them to the downtube for the flats/climbs and put them on for downhills which works great
Been lasting for >2yrs now so pretty decent quality.

https://thebrandstable.co.za/product-category/ion-bike/protection/

Also have the 661 Recon Knee Pads which are similar to the G-Forms albeit a bit less protection in my opinion. Sometimes wear them in winter under long pants.

Use to wear elbow guards after slamming hard and getting stitches 
Troy Lee slim pads - still have them but they are quite shite
Looking to get Leatt Airflex Pro for the elbows

4 minutes ago, thebob said:

Knee and elbow pads should be fine for easy trails. But wear what makes you feel comfortable. Also know, that no matter how many pads you wear, it still hurts when you meet mother earth

100cement
It is just the difference between moaning to the Mrs beer in hand after a slam or having to ask her to take you to get stitches at the ER
lol

15 minutes ago, Wheelie87 said:

I use kneepads on almost every ride. Minimal extra effort and impact on feel during a ride, but so worth it every time you go down
Use to have G-Forms (those yellow ones - proper ninja turtle) which you forget you are wearing after a bit and bearable in Boland summers.
They offered decent protection - had a few slides on them.
I now have the Ion K-Pact Zip which I think is a great design.
I zip them to the downtube for the flats/climbs and put them on for downhills which works great
Been lasting for >2yrs now so pretty decent quality.

https://thebrandstable.co.za/product-category/ion-bike/protection/

Also have the 661 Recon Knee Pads which are similar to the G-Forms albeit a bit less protection in my opinion. Sometimes wear them in winter under long pants.

Use to wear elbow guards after slamming hard and getting stitches 
Troy Lee slim pads - still have them but they are quite shite
Looking to get Leatt Airflex Pro for the elbows

The Ion KPact are probably the best available but are DH worthy pads and pretty warm for just riding around. The 661 Recons are almost useless  - I have a pair and don't bother with them. The latest version may be better but all the flimsy sleeve type pads can move on your leg, Couple that to a grippy rubber outer and they get pulled off the area they need to protect in a crash. Any pair you get should have a kevlar/ aramid fabric outer cover to prevent this and make them durable. I see CCS is now importing 7IDP protection - they make some good looking pads.

https://bikenetwork.co.za/7idp-mtb-helmets-and-protection-now-available-in-south-africa/

Edited by Headshot

3 minutes ago, Headshot said:

The Ion KPact are probably the best available but are DH worthy pads and pretty warm for just riding around. The 661 Recons are almost useless  - I have a pair and don't bother with them. The latest version may be better but all the flimsy sleeve type pads can move on your leg, Couple that to a grippy rubber outer and they get pulled off the area they need to protect in a crash. Any pair you get should have a kevlar/ aramid fabric outer cover to prevent this and make them durable. I see CCS is now importing 7IDP protection - they make some good looking pads.

Sorry I have the K-traze or Lite - not sure what it is called, but the lighter one with a zip.
Remember choosing between the two and the KPact was way too bulky for the riding I do