PTA - Klapperkop MTB trails

Tacet

Hi all,

Does anyone have an idea of how safe Klapperkop's MTB trails currently are?  Per this topic it seems like a lot of effort was put into making it safer, and while sticking to the tar we've seen quite a few people cycling/running solo there, but I'm specifically interested in the XC route.

On 2/23/2022 at 4:04 PM, Tacet said:

Will do, thanks!

Give us an update if you don't mind. FB is blocked on my side and I was also interested to know what is happening.

There is police on horseback patrolling weekdays & weekends. 

We (2 persons) ride there often on MTB track, haven’t even seen any creepers around. But obviously I can’t guarantee anything.

I've ridden there twice now in Feb on my Wednesday morning ride. Once alone and once with someone. It's very quiet and I felt completely safe.

The general feedback from Facebook was pretty positive. People seems to be happy to cycle Koppie’s MTB trails alone in the week. 

I've been cycling there almost every week day for about the last 6 months or so - both on the road and off-road. By myself I might add.
(I'm usually out there in the mornings - roughly between 0700 - 1000)

I have never felt unsafe, and there's almost always other people around.

*Also - at the moment they are clearing out some trees, so there's always a work-gang of 20 plus people around in the week in daytime - dunno how long they will be around for, but they've been busy the last 2-3 weeks anyway.

Edited by Pofkat

• 3 weeks later...

Attacts at Klapperkop are back. Riding solo Sunday morning 20 March (road), attacked by 3 BMs armed with knive and rocks. Electronics stolen, bike damaged by rock bullets. Number of other cyclists and joggers in Klapperkop, but was alone at that stage close to R21 gate. Pls be careful. 

• 3 weeks later...