Buying my first bike (fairly heavy guy)

Hans01

With regards to sizing, I firmly believe that it is bike and geometry dependent. Measure your inseam and your overall length. This could give a much better impression of your build. I am 1.81m @ 113kg, but with a relatively short inseam and a 76cm seat height. So between all my bikes (7 of which 2xM and 5xL frames), the M fits me much more comfortably than the L's do. Convention says I should ride the L frame but this makes me feel "stretched" and added to the fact that the bigger blokes tend to be "less stretchy", the medium just fits. We could get into the stem, seat, handle bar discussions too.

Best thing I would suggest is call on a multibrand store, sit on the bikes and get a feel for them. If possible even pop on a stationery trainer because the different brands also "feel" different at the same size. Then you have at least an idea on brand and size differences.

I also started with a hardtail mountain bike, with a sturdy built wheelset and never looked back......my wife and bank account may disagree. Three years later, probably 10 bikes, upgrades and trainers etc, if this bug bites properly, you will be upgrading that first bike pretty soon, so don't stress too much.

23 minutes ago, ScoobykingZA said:

With regards to sizing, I firmly believe that it is bike and geometry dependent.

This. Of my 4 bikes, 2 are L, 1 is XL and 1 is XXL. I'm 190cm for reference (the XXL is a touch big but I've put a shorter stem on it and it lives on my trainer so it's not an issue).

As a "Looseforward" category rider i also started cycling on a alu hardtail that served me well , as most of my initial riding was done on gravel roads and the easier sections of most trails .

9 years later i am still riding at between 105 -110 kgs( depending on my dedication towards spesific events) but have upgraded to a duel suspension bikes and definately enjoy the additional travel that comes with it . 

At 1.89m i also found that the XL bike ( in Trek brand) was a good fit after making some errors of thinking i should be on a different size bike . Bike fitment is a must in my opinion and makes for a more enjoyable experience from the get-go .

Goodluck in finding the right machine , and ENJOY it !