Machining of spacers/washers for pedal fit

RossTopher

I need to move my pedals out slightly, so was on the hunt for washers.

i believe the pedal axle (including thread) is about 14.2mm. so would need a 14.5-15mm internal diameter.
I finally found M14 washers in a 3mm width, but need to bore them out slightly to get them over the thread.

it seems M15 is non-existent and 16mm is way too loose.

can anyone recommend a place in the CT northern suburbs who could help, or if i should rather get some laser cut?

thanks

Not sure you need these, but living in the States, I used ‘Kneesavers’ to get a better Q-angle space on an unusual recumbent bike I was riding, but PLENTY of big guys/bigger hips/wider stance fitted Kneesavers fora more practical / comfortable pedalling action….

imay even have a set somewhere, unsure!

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=kneesavers+Q-angle+pedal&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-za&client=safari

Cheers

Chris

8 hours ago, RossTopher said:

i believe the pedal axle (including thread) is about 14.2mm. so would need a 14.5-15mm internal diameter.
I finally found M14 washers in a 3mm width, but need to bore them out slightly to get them over the thread.

can anyone recommend a place in the CT northern suburbs who could help, or if i should rather get some laser cut?

thanks

My bike shop just gave me a few actual pedal washers from the mechanics drawer - ask yours because it seemed like it was a common item - 3 little spacers each side and problem solved in my case 

8 hours ago, RossTopher said:

thanks

If you don't find some at your local bike shop you can bring it to my workshop in Brackenfell sure I'll have a drill bit 14.5mm. You won't find a 15mm washer as it's not a standard size. 

PS. It's going to be hell of expensive washers if you have it Lazer cut. 

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

thanks all for the info.

i feel so dof, i never even considered a bike shop. at the fit, i was told to get 2.5mm from a hardware store and try 1, then 2 for the ideal fit. so was fixated on getting from a hardware store.

managed to get a 14 today, and learned that if you get 2 from a shop, they are free. if you ask for 10, you pay R75 :)

added a couple to each bike and at least the look axles have a bit more thread than shimano (or so i have read). should keep my heels from the stays.

@Zebra i have been looking at those for a while. they could well be a long term solution on the road bike, so will see what the Fitter says on follow up and may give you a shout if yours turn up. there are some on https://gpm-sports.co.za/cube/bikefit-pedal-spacer-20mm-solid-pair.html, they're just helluva pricey.

32 minutes ago, RossTopher said:

thanks all for the info.

i feel so dof, i never even considered a bike shop. at the fit, i was told to get 2.5mm from a hardware store and try 1, then 2 for the ideal fit. so was fixated on getting from a hardware store.

managed to get a 14 today, and learned that if you get 2 from a shop, they are free. if you ask for 10, you pay R75 :)

added a couple to each bike and at least the look axles have a bit more thread than shimano (or so i have read). should keep my heels from the stays.

@Zebra i have been looking at those for a while. they could well be a long term solution on the road bike, so will see what the Fitter says on follow up and may give you a shout if yours turn up. there are some on https://gpm-sports.co.za/cube/bikefit-pedal-spacer-20mm-solid-pair.html, they're just helluva pricey.

Yes, not inexpensive, but I remember paying like $40 15 years ago - they were pricey even then, b-u-t solved a problem, elegantly, quickly and reversibly!

Cheers

Chris

They may be expensive but will save you plenty in physio bills!! 

I changed saddles and cranks on all my bikes. Am quite a bit poorer, but far happier on the bike/s.