Chain reaction cycles

14 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

That is strange, like I say, I bought a set of wheels from CRC, and a couple other odds and ends in the same order, also took the cheapest shipping option, and they landed up in my hands within 4 days through DHL

I also ordered a rim set on Friday will let you know what happens with my order. Took the most expensive shipping opinion because it was 0.5£ more so lets see.

also keen to place another order but just waiting to see hoe the importing tax work etc. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

... also took the cheapest shipping option ...

Cheapest or free.? I suspect the outcomes are very different.

52 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Cheapest or free.? I suspect the outcomes are very different.

Free shipping, I always take the free shipping option, I am a cheapskate like that 🤣

55 minutes ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

I also ordered a rim set on Friday will let you know what happens with my order. Took the most expensive shipping opinion because it was 0.5£ more so lets see.

also keen to place another order but just waiting to see hoe the importing tax work etc. 

I think with it being the festive season and end of the year, it may be delayed a bit compared to normal

Edited by Chadvdw67

13 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I think with it being the festive season and end of the year, it may be delayed a bit compared to normal

Yip plus all the vacation days etc. Still very excited. What did you pay import when you ordered the wheels ?(the %)

3 minutes ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Yip plus all the vacation days etc. Still very excited. What did you pay import when you ordered the wheels ?(the %)

I had to pay 15% vat and whatever the DHL service fee is

Edited by Chadvdw67

6 minutes ago, Spookie said:

Are we thinking handlebar/pannier bags are going to be classified as “clothing”? I assume so… 

Nevermind, Found the original detailed imports thread… definitely a yes. 

I order from them way to often (my wife will confirm this) and it's the easiest international bike shopping experience. Compared to likes of worldwide cyclery, it's a breeze. 

Update from my side, I placed my Order the 23rd of December 11:10Pm and received it today. If you take out all the vacation days etc it comes down to 4 business days which is truly amazing. Used DHL and the 3rd Shipping option because it was the same as the free shipping 😂 

(It was 2 Hoops)

Edited by Phillippe Coetzee
Left something out

The SARS tariffs are on the Customs & Excise Tariffs doc below split per region of origin under the "Rate of Duty" heading.

https://www.sars.gov.za/wp-content/uploads/Legal/SCEA1964/Legal-LPrim-CE-Sch1P1Chpt1-to-99-Schedule-No-1-Part-1-Chapters-1-to-99.pdf

Bikes: 8712.00.10

Frames, forks & parts thereof: 8714.91

Wheel rims & spokes: 8714.92

Hubs, brakes, saddles, pedals, crank gear & parts thereof, other: 8714.93-99

Cycling shoes: 6403.19.04

Helmets: 6506.10.90

Clothing: Covered under Chapter 62 from page 409.

VAT is calculated at 15% of the Added Tax Value (ATV)

ATV = Customs Value (CV = Foreign price x SARS FX rate), plus duty levied, plus 10% of CV

VAT = 15% x [((price x FX rate) x (1 +10%)) + Duty]

Sometimes the courier adds on a fixed admin fee for settling the VAT & duties on your behalf.

Customs Excise Duty_Cycling Related Items_23.12.2022.pdf

5 hours ago, peevee said:

The SARS tariffs are on the Customs & Excise Tariffs doc below split per region of origin under the "Rate of Duty" heading.

https://www.sars.gov.za/wp-content/uploads/Legal/SCEA1964/Legal-LPrim-CE-Sch1P1Chpt1-to-99-Schedule-No-1-Part-1-Chapters-1-to-99.pdf

Bikes: 8712.00.10

Frames, forks & parts thereof: 8714.91

Wheel rims & spokes: 8714.92

Hubs, brakes, saddles, pedals, crank gear & parts thereof, other: 8714.93-99

Cycling shoes: 6403.19.04

Helmets: 6506.10.90

Clothing: Covered under Chapter 62 from page 409.

VAT is calculated at 15% of the Added Tax Value (ATV)

ATV = Customs Value (CV = Foreign price x SARS FX rate), plus duty levied, plus 10% of CV

VAT = 15% x [((price x FX rate) x (1 +10%)) + Duty]

Sometimes the courier adds on a fixed admin fee for settling the VAT & duties on your behalf.

Customs Excise Duty_Cycling Related Items_23.12.2022.pdf 166.56 kB · 1 download

You absolute legend! 

On 12/24/2022 at 4:06 PM, Edge_Design said:

If it's a larger item then the free "Fedex" shipping actually ends up at SAPO so count on 4 to 6 weeks with a lot of unwanted stress. Small items are normally DHL and delivered 4 to 7 days with the free option. 

Interesting.

I just bought a bike and a spare part (tiny). The shipping price was the same with or without the spare part (120 pounds). The spare part arrived via DHL in 7 days and the bike is somewhere in the Netherlands still by the looks of things with FedEX. The tracking is poor compared to DHL and I hope it isn't this free shipping you speak of as it was expensive. I hope its just the holiday.

19 hours ago, Brawler said:

Interesting.

I just bought a bike and a spare part (tiny). The shipping price was the same with or without the spare part (120 pounds). The spare part arrived via DHL in 7 days and the bike is somewhere in the Netherlands still by the looks of things with FedEX. The tracking is poor compared to DHL and I hope it isn't this free shipping you speak of as it was expensive. I hope its just the holiday.

That is the "Fedex" service where they just dump the package with the post office - Netherlands PO initially as with mine. Yours is probably sitting with customs in SA where the tracking won't be updated for 4 to 5 weeks and then SAPO will try to find a way to get it to you. In my case they sent it to the wrong post office in Cape Town and then lost it for 10 days while trying to get it the 30km to where it should be.

I have suggested to CRC it is ridiculous charging that much to send something via the SAPO - if you have the same experience then please do the same and maybe one day they will listen.

Edited by Edge_Design

19 hours ago, Brawler said:

Interesting.

The worst part is you probably had to also pay a R200 admin fee to DHL to do the clearing on the small spare part shipped separately!