Giant AM 29 Rear Hub Freehub Body Removal / Bearing Replacement

MrJacques

I'm trying to figure out how to remove the freehub body and replace the bearings. The axle, bearing and freehub all seem to be attached to each other. Removing the end spacers was about as far as I could get. I wasn't able to pull off the freehub body and didn't want to attempt to try and hammer out the axle. Both sides have the shape of a rather big allen key, which I don't have. I suspect this may require other specialized shop tools.

I had a look on Youtube and tried finding a service manual, but no luck so far. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

image.png.50f74fa0e84f0467e6dfc5c4909f1f51.png

Yes, it's dirty and the bearings feel a bit rough, which is why it needs a service.

Edited by MrJacques

The axle at the free hub body takes a 12 mm allen key. The other side should take a (cone) spanner. Not sure what size (American Classic is a 19mm, Easton racing wheels take a 20mm). I have serviced both with standard off the shelf spanners.

That should get the axle out.

Just now, JacBrand said:

The axle at the free hub body takes a 12 mm allen key. The other side should take a (cone) spanner. Not sure what size (American Classic is a 19mm, Easton racing wheels take a 20mm). I have serviced both with standard off the shelf spanners.

That should get the axle out.

Yeah, that's what I was expecting, but both ends of the axle have the indents for an Allen key and the axle seems to be one piece.

1 minute ago, MrJacques said:

Yeah, that's what I was expecting, but both ends of the axle have the indents for an Allen key and the axle seems to be one piece.

In that case I am not sure.

If I am not mistaken that hub has sealed bearings on the ends and the freehub has internal pawls and is bolted to the hub.  The large allen key shape in the axle is to hold the axle to let you undo the opposite end cap.  You then have to knock the axle together with one bearing out and then remove the second bearing.  The freehub can then be removed with the 12mm allan key (from the non drive side). Some hubs use 11mm from the drive side

It is not worth removing the freehub unless you are going to replace it.  It is difficult to get any lube in and they are "tight" from all the power pedalling that you do.

Hold the axle while it is still in and spin the wheel in reverse to the normal direction.  You will be able to feel the condition of the axle bearings.  Spinning in the normal direction while holding the freehub will allow you to feel the freehub bearings.

9 minutes ago, David Marshall said:

If I am not mistaken that hub has sealed bearings on the ends and the freehub has internal pawls and is bolted to the hub.  The large allen key shape in the axle is to hold the axle to let you undo the opposite end cap.  You then have to knock the axle together with one bearing out and then remove the second bearing.  The freehub can then be removed with the 12mm allan key (from the non drive side). Some hubs use 11mm from the drive side

It is not worth removing the freehub unless you are going to replace it.  It is difficult to get any lube in and they are "tight" from all the power pedalling that you do.

Hold the axle while it is still in and spin the wheel in reverse to the normal direction.  You will be able to feel the condition of the axle bearings.  Spinning in the normal direction while holding the freehub will allow you to feel the freehub bearings.

Thanks, I think you're probably correct. I'm not really confident enough to do it, but curious anyway.  From what side would you knock the axle out? Drive side?

The wheel spins fine, but the bearings do feel a bit rough, so they probably need replacing at some stage. Sounds like it's an entire assembly (axle and freehub).

You can knock it out either way.  I use a plastic mallet or a hammer with a piece of wood. The axle is not attached to the freehub.  I'll see if I have a loose one and I will post a picture.

1 minute ago, David Marshall said:

You can knock it out either way.  I use a plastic mallet or a hammer with a piece of wood. The axle is not attached to the freehub.  I'll see if I have a loose one and I will post a picture.

Cool. How do you know to get the spacing correct when putting it back together? I suppose the picture might explain it :)

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

Are you able to let me know how you got the end caps off? Mine are stuck solid. 

Do you know what size bearings you needed as well please? 

Thanks 

• 5 months later...
On 12/31/2022 at 5:01 PM, Chunkleton said:

Hi, 

Are you able to let me know how you got the end caps off? Mine are stuck solid. 

Do you know what size bearings you needed as well please? 

Thanks 

Apologies for the delayed response, I only figured it out much later. The caps should just screw off. One of mine was tight and I had to use 2 doubled up allen keys to hold the other end to screw it off.

As for bearing sizes, I'm not entirely sure, but there is a number on my first photo.