Tubes wearing inside the road bike tyre

FirstV8

This morning i punctured my rear wheel for the first time since putting tyre liners in about 4 months ago . when fixing the puncture i noticed a distinct wear line on the tube were the tyre liner fits between the tyre and the tube . There was also a lot of tube rubber dust inside the tyre  . Is this normal or is there something im doing wrong when inserting the liner . The tyres are 50% worn and the walls are fairly malleable as i can put the tyre on with my hands without using a tyre lever . 

IMG_5466.jpg

IMG_5467.jpg

Under normal circumstances there is friction and movement between a tube and tyre and it results in a fine powder. But i think adding the third harder item results in more friction and even more movemant as the liner is smoother and harder.

I did see something on GCN but more for marginal gains they used silicone spray on the tubes as a lube.

Can also try chalk or baby powder.

Edited by Barry

thats the tyre liners that are far less pliable causing the wear on the tube/ Remove those things as they are the work of he devil. Buy tubes with removable valve core and use sealant inside the tube for added puncture resistance

I already have a tube with sealant in and still punctured . I bought them on a special when i bought the liners . It did not help me on this occasion . I don't think there is enough sealant in those tubes . Im going to top it up with about another 25ml of Enduro my sealant of choice on my MTB . 

On 12/11/2022 at 9:27 PM, FirstV8 said:

I already have a tube with sealant in and still punctured . I bought them on a special when i bought the liners . It did not help me on this occasion . I don't think there is enough sealant in those tubes . Im going to top it up with about another 25ml of Enduro my sealant of choice on my MTB . 

Tubes purchased with sealant generally have that thick stuff inside that is designed for long shelf life but often separates into two fluids that don’t actually seal anything but a thorn puncture. Rather fill a new tube with enduro seal. 
for a road bike with rim brakes remember you will have to reapply about 40ml of sealant every month if you ride regularly. The heat from the rim brakes does cause any sealant to separate then they don’t seal. 

Edited by DieselnDust