Mountain Bike Pedals for Cleats

Bundu Ric

What I did was just get a set of budget clipless pedals, something like the Shimano M530 mentioned above, and a cheap pair of MTB cleat shoes, and give it a whirl.

It is going to take a good few rides to get comfortable with the setup, but not too long, one thing I can advise, dont go out on your first couple rides and try ride as fast as you normally do, just go out and meander around, try forget what pedals you are riding, just ride casually, that helped me a LOT, when I first tried clipless, it was a nightmare, because I tried to go all in as fast as I would go with flats, it didnt end well, now I can ride almost as fast, and sometimes faster, terrain depending, on clipless as I do with flats, I still default to flats though, I like to try new things, flats give me the confidence to do that

Lots of great advice here. 

I rode and raced on clipless for years but as I got older I experienced more and more discomfort and pain in my feet. I'm at the point now where I can't even ride for 20 minutes before my toes go numb and the outside of my feet start hurting. 

It sucks because I like the feel of clipless on the XC bike. Trail bike spends more time in the air so I prefer flats there. 

But this isn't a clipless vs flats debate.

Top tip:

- Learn to clip in on a nice big piece of grass because you will go down a couple of times while getting used to it. That big area at the Red Barn restaurant is perfect for it. 
- Do at least 50 stops and clip in and out before venturing onto the trail.
- Keep reminding yourself to clip out before you stop.
- Set your pedals as loose as possible at the start to help you get out quickly

Here is something important that will help you that not many people know. Shimano also make a 'multi-release' cleat. They are silver and are stamped wth an M. They are easier to get unlocked than the normal Shimano cleats. The multi-release cleats will release in almost any direction if you pull hard enough, unlike the standard cleats which are designed to only release with an ankle twist movement. Multi-release cleats are much easier to learn with. Use them with any Shimano SPD pedals. Set the SPD's cleat locking force as loose as possible and you you're good to go. You'll soon get used the cleats and not look back. I never use flats anymore. Haven't for years now.