[Event] Ottosdal Draf en Trap

Scary Rider

Event Name: Ottosdal Draf en Trap
When: 28/01/2023
Where: Ottosdal Showground, , Ottosdal, North West
Category: Multisport

A fun event for the whole family! Bike in the morning, run late afternoon. Come enjoy hearty plattelandse hospitality.

Go to Event Page.

• 11 months later...

Has anyone cycled the MTB? Assume it is probably just mostly dirt roads? 

The MTB event has a mix of variable terrain. No major climbs but you can expect singletrack, jeep track, farm roads with corrugations, actually very few district road, lots of winning fields (wenakker) around the maize fields and some track in the veld. Excellent waterpoints and marshals. The heat can be challenging but it is not a gravel grind and it isn't too technical either.

3 hours ago, Zama7 said:

Has anyone cycled the MTB? Assume it is probably just mostly dirt roads? 

I really love this event, the entire North West comes out to set-up routes, food-stands, waterpoints, and camping areas and the locals go out of their way to support and treat participants. The kuiers throughout the weekend at the show grounds are legendary!

We did the 40km MTB last year. A mixed bag of farm roads, single track, mine paths through an old quarry and also makeshift veld tracks. The latter are literally paths cut through open grassland which make for tough riding over many many grass hassocks  - this gets a special mention cause it killed my legs and arse proper (and almost had me half-dead on the half marathon later that evening)! Still, a fun ride with great waterpoints and very friendly and enthusiastic marshals.

Ps: Be sure to participate in the Saturday evening running event, even if only the 5km fun run. The entire route is lit up with small lanterns placed in the middle of the road which makes for a really cool experience and the vibe is incredible!

Edited by Karooryder