Rules regarding race planning

The Ouzo

I guess this should be an @Frosty topic, but I know there are others on here that organise events.

What are the rules regarding informing the areas / surrounding areas about your race route using the roads ?

Reason I ask, the Johnson Crane Hire marathon will be coming straight passed our suburb on sunday. I've not seen any communication/sign boards etc. about this.

To me its not a big deal, I know it happens every year, I've seen the little arrows etc. they've painted on the streets weeks ago, and I'm normally on the bike at the time, so I catch the front runners a bit and then a bit of the tail enders on the way home. But I know from being on the area whatsapp groups, plus hearing all the hooting at the intersections when I leave for my ride, that people get very upset about it. 

In the Western Cape events are governed by a By-Law.

Relatively short document.  Key being an application must be submitted to the Local Authoritie(s) of the areas involved.

They may impose extra requirements as applicable to the areas and numbers, etc.

Thanks for reminding me of the Johnson Crane marathon on Sunday. Ive seen the markings on the route i do so will have to be extra careful and leave a bit earlier to avoid the fish and chips . 

4 hours ago, ChrisF said:

In the Western Cape events are governed by a By-Law.

Relatively short document.  Key being an application must be submitted to the Local Authoritie(s) of the areas involved.

They may impose extra requirements as applicable to the areas and numbers, etc.

Ekurhuleni and Midvaal work much the same; the bylaws dictate what is required to apply to use the roads. The application must be submitted to Disaster Management for approval and then they issue a public notice. I’m not sure if the public notices, as I have never seen anything (never is probably an exaggeration).

Nothing says how or where to advertise the roads affected unless there is temporary road closure. 7 days before, a sign must indicate the road will be temporarily closed, with times included.

Midvaal said it has to be according to regulation, i.e. gum poles fixed into the ground. Not sure how The Fast One got this through.

FA313D0F-9A98-409B-9DF3-98CE97FF0910.jpeg.3a888ca5b9e4ca9e9d122f85a51325d8.jpeg