Advice on the Marin Bobcat Trail 4

Dhiren

Hi everyone

Is there any reason I shouldn't pull the trigger on one of these: https://www.cyclelab.com/product/1014195-bike-mtb-ht-alu-marin-bobcat-trail-4

Over say, a Titan or Scott?

It seems like good value at the moment. I am really not planning on racing. Looking more for a weekend trail riding bike that needs minimum maintenance with a 1x groupset.

Only issue I can see is that cycle lab won't be stocking it in future.

Thanks in advance!

It's a good price but that looks like a 2x setup to me. The parts are all serviceable on the bike, CL not stocking the brand shouldn't really be an issue unless you have a warranty problem - might need to ask them what happens in that case.

If you can play with your budget why not consider a 2nd hand hard tail that is already setup 1x and might have better components - there are some nice looking bikes R12k to R20k

Just now, BrettS said:

It's a good price but that looks like a 2x setup to me. The parts are all serviceable on the bike, CL not stocking the brand shouldn't really be an issue unless you have a warranty problem - might need to ask them what happens in that case.

If you can play with your budget why not consider a 2nd hand hard tail that is already setup 1x and might have better components - there are some nice looking bikes R12k to R20k

Thanks for the info. So the picture shows a 2x setup but when I checked in store as well as via chat, their Trail 4's are all actually 1x9 Microshift Advent. Not Shimano. Otherwise the specs are as per the description.

My budget was around R5k, so R8k is already stretching it 🤣

2 minutes ago, Dhiren said:

Thanks for the info. So the picture shows a 2x setup but when I checked in store as well as via chat, their Trail 4's are all actually 1x9 Microshift Advent. Not Shimano. Otherwise the specs are as per the description.

My budget was around R5k, so R8k is already stretching it 🤣

Interesting 😂 I don't have any experience with Microshift - but I have heard good things - see if you can find any drawbacks on the drivetrain online. It's a 9 speed so that will have it's own drawbacks either on the top end or on the climbs (depending on where you choose to ride).

All in all as a weekend trail bike it should do the job well. Well done for stretching the budget 😄

• 1 month later...

I got the bike 😁

So far it's been great. Only done about 15km on it but so far so good except for a strange interaction today.

I get an SMS last week from Cycle Lab about a "satisfaction tune up service" that offers a basic service of the bike (clean & lube type of thing) for free within 60 days. So I was like OK, it's close enough to work. So I drop the bike off there in the morning and go to work. Get a call halfway during the day from the technician to explain that my wheel bearings are "absolutely finished" and do I want a quote? My response was obviously stunned silence followed by "Why does a 1 month old bike need new bearings?". The tech then responded by saying he picked up the wrong job card and he thought I brought in a Cannondale but he made a mistake...Ok. Go to pick up the bike after work and confirm with the guy at front desk that nothing was wrong with the bike. Cool.

Get home and my mind is a bit uneasy. Go over the bike and now I don't know if it's my imagination or is the following normal:

Am I just overreacting or is that a weird amount of noise? When pedalling forward, the noise stops so I don't understand... (To be clear, I'm not talking about the regular clicking ratchet sound of the hub but the grinding noise)

Edited by Dhiren

Def something wrong with the bearing in the hub, it should have no play and by the sound it's completely dry

Take it back i would make them strip it in front of me to check the bearing

Took it in this morning. First guy I speak to says yeah that sounds horrible. He looks to second tech for his opinion. Second tech says these freehubs are not the greatest quality, they often require replacement. To which I reply "After 1 month!?".Second tech looks bewildered. Also tries to tell me that play on the cassette is normal. After which I go to another Bobcat they have on the floor and show him that cassette is perfectly fine. I know I have very little experience with bicycles but I could see this was not sinking in...

He also gave me the speech about pressure washers and bearings but I made it clear the only people who washed that bike so far are from Cycle Lab.

Anyway they've agreed that it should be replaced under warranty but are not sure what type of hub yet, etc.

The bike has been great, but the idea was for this to be a fun weekend toy, not something I have to argue with dealers about and end up servicing myself because I don't trust them. I already have enough of that with my cars, but looks like I will need to invest in a couple tools...

Good for you and make sure when you collect it, you check it before paying.

Lots of people smirk off these entry level bikes as cheapie throwaways, as the components are really cheap entry level throwaway stuff - If the bike is assembled properly and you maintain the bearings, it will run for years.

I bought a 24" Avalanche MTB for my son when he was 6 - I stripped it down and completely rebuilt it giving extra care to the hubs (cup & cone bearings) and the BB bearings. Used to maintain it properly about twice a year - never gave an ounce of problems - And he used to abuse the thing like most schoolboys do. - years later I sold it for nearly double what i paid for it still running like new. So the problem isn't the bike or its components - the trouble starts because they were not assembled properly in the first place.

I would hazard your hubs are cup & cone and they weren't tightened properly   

1 hour ago, madmarc said:

Good for you and make sure when you collect it, you check it before paying.

Lots of people smirk off these entry level bikes as cheapie throwaways, as the components are really cheap entry level throwaway stuff - If the bike is assembled properly and you maintain the bearings, it will run for years.

I bought a 24" Avalanche MTB for my son when he was 6 - I stripped it down and completely rebuilt it giving extra care to the hubs (cup & cone bearings) and the BB bearings. Used to maintain it properly about twice a year - never gave an ounce of problems - And he used to abuse the thing like most schoolboys do. - years later I sold it for nearly double what i paid for it still running like new. So the problem isn't the bike or its components - the trouble starts because they were not assembled properly in the first place.

I would hazard your hubs are cup & cone and they weren't tightened properly   

I actually took the rear wheel off to try and check but I don't have a thin enough spanner to get in between the outer nut and the bearing. And the opposite side has the sprocket over it which needs another tool. But I thought that's what the 30 day service is for, to tighten these things up...when I get it back I'm quite sure I'm going to go over the whole bike myself.

Just an update for future Marin owners.

Got the bike back yesterday.

Good:

Workshop "consultant" (first technician in my previous post) was friendly, made it clear that they're going to do everything they can to look after me. Replaced the Marin freehub with a Shimano FH-M475. Hub sounds a lot better. Also spoke to Marin SA distributor and he offered to help if I don't come right with CL, so I'm pretty happy with the bike going forward.

Not so good:

Derailleur needed to be set up. When I hopped on the bike at the store I shifted one or two cogs up and down. Seemed fine. Get home and the chain does not want to shift into the largest cog (lowest gear). Even when on the second largest cog, the chain was very noisy. So I download the MicroShift manual, set up the shifting again, turns out the b tension screw was out way too far (guide pulley was too close to the largest cog) and the barrel adjustment on the bar-mounted trigger was really loose. Shifts super slick now. Also noticed the dork disc is missing.

So I'm quite happy with the warranty cover and the bike but yoh I really don't see the point in taking my bike to CL for "servicing" anymore. 

22 minutes ago, Dhiren said:

Good:

Workshop "consultant" (first technician in my previous post) was friendly, made it clear that they're going to do everything they can to look after me. Replaced the Marin freehub with a Shimano FH-M475. Hub sounds a lot better. Also spoke to Marin SA distributor and he offered to help if I don't come right with CL, so I'm pretty happy with the bike going forward.

Not so good:

Derailleur needed to be set up. When I hopped on the bike at the store I shifted one or two cogs up and down. Seemed fine. Get home and the chain does not want to shift into the largest cog (lowest gear). Even when on the second largest cog, the chain was very noisy. So I download the MicroShift manual, set up the shifting again, turns out the b tension screw was out way too far (guide pulley was too close to the largest cog) and the barrel adjustment on the bar-mounted trigger was really loose. Shifts super slick now. Also noticed the dork disc is missing.

So I'm quite happy with the warranty cover and the bike but yoh I really don't see the point in taking my bike to CL for "servicing" anymore. 

Glad to hear you got it sorted - and took the leap to set the RD yourself. Don't rely on LBS mechanics, especially with entry level bikes - Just learn to do it all yourself and your life will be happier

34 minutes ago, Dhiren said:

Good:

Not so good:

If you get stuck Go to Cycle Lab They will never chase anyone away.

Just don't do modifications on the bike.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 6:41 PM, Dhiren said:

I got the bike 😁

So far it's been great. Only done about 15km on it but so far so good except for a strange interaction today.

I get an SMS last week from Cycle Lab about a "satisfaction tune up service" that offers a basic service of the bike (clean & lube type of thing) for free within 60 days. So I was like OK, it's close enough to work. So I drop the bike off there in the morning and go to work. Get a call halfway during the day from the technician to explain that my wheel bearings are "absolutely finished" and do I want a quote? My response was obviously stunned silence followed by "Why does a 1 month old bike need new bearings?". The tech then responded by saying he picked up the wrong job card and he thought I brought in a Cannondale but he made a mistake...Ok. Go to pick up the bike after work and confirm with the guy at front desk that nothing was wrong with the bike. Cool.

Get home and my mind is a bit uneasy. Go over the bike and now I don't know if it's my imagination or is the following normal:

Am I just overreacting or is that a weird amount of noise? When pedalling forward, the noise stops so I don't understand... (To be clear, I'm not talking about the regular clicking ratchet sound of the hub but the grinding noise)

I recently got the Bobcat Trail 4 as well, very beautiful bike. It is currently in for the 60-day service but I cannot wait for to get it back so I can inspect my hub while it is still under warranty.

14 hours ago, khutsom_ said:

I recently got the Bobcat Trail 4 as well, very beautiful bike. It is currently in for the 60-day service but I cannot wait for to get it back so I can inspect my hub while it is still under warranty.

Yeah, the bike itself is great. I'd be very surprised if your hub was also bad. If it was a common fault, you would see noise on the international sites. I think I just had bad luck. But check it anyway, just to be safe!

• 3 months later...

My hub just gave out on me after about 200km on the bike. I suspect the hubs on these bikes aren’t strong because I had a Bolinas Ridge 2 before the Bobcat which I did 947 Steyn City in the mud with last year and it never made any sounds after. I even did Wolvespruit with it which is quite rocky and the hub was quiet. I had more mileage on it as well 

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZHsre9qr5cc?si=3oMYKFFIIgBEaPCz

1 hour ago, khutsom_ said:

My hub just gave out on me after about 200km on the bike. I suspect the hubs on these bikes aren’t strong because I had a Bolinas Ridge 2 before the Bobcat which I did 947 Steyn City in the mud with last year and it never made any sounds after. I even did Wolvespruit with it which is quite rocky and the hub was quiet. I had more mileage on it as well 

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZHsre9qr5cc?si=3oMYKFFIIgBEaPCz

That's not great. In that video, are you talking about the squealing noise? Almost like rubber against something?

That's quite different to what I was experiencing though...