Drivetrain Info

MTB G

Hi there,

I am looking for some feedback & information on changing my bikes drivetrain...I have two setups in mind for my 1x11 Sram GX components
      Setup 1 - GX Shifter & Derailleur 
      Shimano Deore CS-M5100 11-51 with Shimano deore or Sram X1 chain??
      Csixx 34T Round or Oval chainring

Setup 2 - GX Shifter & Derailleur 
      Sunrace MX80 11-50 with Sram chain

I'm currently running a Sunrace 11-46 with a 32T Oval and Sram X1 chain so my thought to change to the 50/51T cassette would then let me change to the 34T chainring. Both options are roughly the same price to change.

Any thoughts, information and feedback would help....

Thanks all

14 hours ago, MTB G said:

Hi there,

I am looking for some feedback & information on changing my bikes drivetrain...I have two setups in mind for my 1x11 Sram GX components

I'm currently running a Sunrace 11-46 with a 32T Oval and Sram X1 chain so my thought to change to the 50/51T cassette would then let me change to the 34T chainring. Both options are roughly the same price to change.

Thanks all

You can change to a 34 on 11-46

2 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

You can change to a 34 on 11-46

Just try this first. I think he is correct. Just add 2 links to the chain. If it doesn't work I would go with option 1. Personally I haven't had much happiness with Sunrace cassettes. 

I ran a xo1 11spd with a 11-50 sunrace without any issues but tried to run the same cassette with gx on my brothers bike but it didn't want to work the 46t cassette works but the 50 was just out of reach for the gx. 

1 hour ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I ran a xo1 11spd with a 11-50 sunrace without any issues but tried to run the same cassette with gx on my brothers bike but it didn't want to work the 46t cassette works but the 50 was just out of reach for the gx. 

derailleur hanger design, chain stay length, chain length  and the GX lower pulley cage spring would be influencing factors here.

Edited by DieselnDust

On 3/31/2023 at 4:23 PM, MTB G said:

Hi there,

Thanks all

you will need a goat lnk to make the 11speed derailleur work reliably with the proposed set up

9 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

derailleur hanger design, chain stay length, chain length  and the GX lower pulley cage spring would be influencing factors here.

I must agree, I have had 2 different bikes with the same setup and on one it worked without an extender and on the other .... let's just say I almost drove myself to drink I mean it must work its the same components!

Anyway added an extender after much f'ing and blinding and it worked fine. Definitely something different between them frames