Mountain Biking in Riversdale Area

Renier

Good day all!

So, I'm heading to Riverdale for a week at the end of April and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for mountain biking routes?

I had a quick look on Trailforks in the area, but didn't see any routes. I'm not sure if there are any dedicated routes around there that aren't showing up.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

(Otherwise it will be me with a trail bike on the farm roads :) )

2 minutes ago, Renier said:

Good day all!

So, I'm heading to Riverdale for a week at the end of April and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for mountain biking routes?

I had a quick look on Trailforks in the area, but didn't see any routes. I'm not sure if there are any dedicated routes around there that aren't showing up.

there is(was) a bike shop in town,

1 minute ago, Shebeen said:

Bike shop closed down in Jan but I understand it re-opened under new owners now.

4 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I'm guessing they'd be able to point me in the right direction then?

If you're up for a gravel ride I'd definitely recommend heading over gysmanshoek pass and then looping back over Garcia pass. The Gysmanshoek area unfortunately got devastated in a fire a year or two ago (it was a protea wonderland) but it's still a stunning route.

7 minutes ago, Renier said:

Good day all!

I think there are at least some jeep tracks in the plantations to ride but you would probably need a local or someone from the bike shop to give you advice. I'm not aware of any proper trail setups near town.

If gravel grinding is your thing there the road out to Misverstand dam and further on in Heidelsberg direction is very nice ride with a few steep hills to conquer, Gysmanshoek pass on the same road is also a challenging but beautiful ride.

51 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

If you're up for a gravel ride I'd definitely recommend heading over gysmanshoek pass and then looping back over Garcia pass. The Gysmanshoek area unfortunately got devastated in a fire a year or two ago (it was a protea wonderland) but it's still a stunning route.

Beautiful pass but steep and rocky on a gravel bike!

6 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

Beautiful pass but steep and rocky on a gravel bike!

Yup, especially if your rear tyre has minimal tread left 😆

It motivated me to finally replace my tyres!

55 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

Yup, especially if your rear tyre has minimal tread left 😆

It motivated me to finally replace my tyres!

Coincidentally it completely killed what was left of my rear tyre as well

5 hours ago, NC_lurker said:

Thanks, I'll have a look at the route!

5 hours ago, Skubarra said:

I think there are at least some jeep tracks in the plantations to ride but you would probably need a local or someone from the bike shop to give you advice. I'm not aware of any proper trail setups near town.

If gravel grinding is your thing there the road out to Misverstand dam and further on in Heidelsberg direction is very nice ride with a few steep hills to conquer, Gysmanshoek pass on the same road is also a challenging but beautiful ride.

Thanks, I'll see what I can work out.

Worst case I'll ride the farm roads around the area.

8 hours ago, Renier said:

Thanks, I'll see what I can work out.

Worst case I'll ride the farm roads around the area.

Hope you figure out a lekker ride 😀

Oh and it is Korintepoort dam, not Misverstand.