Cape Pioneer Trek, Route Comparison and tire selection.

GenghisGandhi

I will be riding Cape Pioneer Trek this year. Have ridden Lesotho Sky and wondering how the climbing and technical sections compare. 

Also wondering about tire selection. I usually run Ikon EXO 29x2.35 with XC cushcore in the rear. Have some issues with flatting with this  setup. Usually rock punctures even at 25 psi. 

I have a set of Ikon DD tires which would add a total of 300g to the bike. Tempted to run these. Sound like the last two stages will be a bit harder on tires this year. Will lose a bit of time on the climbs but possibly less time than I would with a flat. What experience have people had with tires at Cape Pioneer Trek? 

Have not ridden Pioneer Trek and cannot comment on conditions.

However unless you are playing for the marbles, I would always choose reliability over marginal weight gain.

330gr will be ~3% of most full sus rigs and less than 0.5% of the rig/rider combo..... in my view that ain't gonna impact your results.

Karoo rocks aren't worst than Magaliesberg one's .Have done it twice and used Continental once and Maxxi's /Vittorio combo once  .Currently i am on Ikon,s and Barzo and would use them .Just completed go2berg and never touched my tires from start to finish