Adding Reverse Light to Bike Rack

Sirusthevirus

Hi All,

Need some assistance. My vehicle complains because my old Thule bike rack only has brake, indicator and park lights. It fails on reverse lights cause the rack does not have one.

So I have 2 options. Add a reverse light and wire it into the 7pin plug or purchase a complete set of lights with cables + plug (new or 2nd hand).

I would prefer to get a complete set of lights and switch to 13 pin plug anyway (currently using 7 to 13 pin converter). So would need to know where I can get this. I have the old Thule Euroway. I would even take a set of lights that the likes of Marvel/Double D/Artera bike racks use if I could only find the parts for it. Thule replacement lights are like half the price of a new rack, so don't really want to go that route.

Help would really be appreciate in showing where I can get it or how to add a reverse light to bike rack.

Edited by Sirusthevirus

As Chris has stated you can get lights at most Auto stores. I got a nice oval set from Auto Zone very close in look to the newer Thule light. Just need the 13 pin plug and new cable. Thule are insanely expensive so defiantly go aftermarket. 

21 minutes ago, Barry said:

As Chris has stated you can get lights at most Auto stores. I got a nice oval set from Auto Zone very close in look to the newer Thule light. Just need the 13 pin plug and new cable. Thule are insanely expensive so defiantly go aftermarket. 

Do you have a picture you could post or link? I replaced the older square lights with the same ones from Midas. But if I can purchase a completely new light with reverse in them I would definitely do that.

I'll go have a look at Autozone and Midas again as well.

1 hour ago, Sirusthevirus said:

Do you have a picture you could post or link? I replaced the older square lights with the same ones from Midas. But if I can purchase a completely new light with reverse in them I would definitely do that.

I'll go have a look at Autozone and Midas again as well.

If you can find a light set that has a separate loop or wire for the number plate LED. Connect one side left or right to the blue Aux/fog wire and run it as a reverce light. Should take the error away.

35 minutes ago, Barry said:

If you can find a light set that has a separate loop or wire for the number plate LED. Connect one side left or right to the blue Aux/fog wire and run it as a reverce light. Should take the error away.

Found one. Will go get it today. Thank you for this

8 hours ago, BaGearA said:

looking for a short arm off a thule velo if anyone is poping here ......

Rack and carry in Knysna. Barry is your man. 

So, seems I purchased the incorrect light. Light only has 1 cable and  I require 2 (one for ground and other for +)? Or should this single cable light work.

Didn't find a complete light unit with reverse (and all the other functions) so purchased a single light for reverse.

Edited by Sirusthevirus

1 hour ago, Sirusthevirus said:

So, seems I purchased the incorrect light. Light only has 1 cable and  I require 2 (one for ground and other for +)? Or should this single cable light work.

Didn't find a complete light unit with reverse (and all the other functions) so purchased a single light for reverse.

You will need two cables + and one connected to the white earth in the racks loom.

Screenshot_20230618-182806-1.jpg

Edited by Barry

13 hours ago, Sirusthevirus said:

The plug has a "spare" pin, use this for the live wire.

There is already an earth pin.

PS ... work on "pin numbers" .... this is the only way to make sure you supply the reverse signal to the correct pin on the vehicle plug AND then pick it up from the correct pin on the lead plug side.  (The reverse orientation has caught out a lot of people)