Bike bags

Pall Catt

9 hours ago, quintonb said:

My brother in law and I have just come back from France and Belgium, he used an Evoc bag and I used a Thule rigid box. My bike weighs 7.6kg and once in the Thule box it all weighed 22kg. Emirates give you 23kg so I was close. His bike in the Evoc bag came in at 19kg. I would say if you want to take a MTB on your travels then a soft bag is the only way to go. 

We only travel with road/gravel bikes so I'm happy with the Thule box. 

What happens when the bag weighs in at 24 or 25kg ?

Have only ever used carry on luggage so dont know

24 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

What happens when the bag weighs in at 24 or 25kg ?

Have only ever used carry on luggage so dont know

you go bankrupt

The charges for every additional kg of luggage are astronomical 

8 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

you go bankrupt

What he said 😀

6 hours ago, dave303e said:

So I don't trust glue for structural construction, especially when it is getting dragged through transitions and airports. So the first one I built I did with 5mm nuts and bolts, the 2nd one I used pop rivets and washers. I have built multiple because I like tinkering/improving and it is really dirt cheap to build. That is the exact "how to" that I started with, now I can wing it out my head to build them. The pop rivets and washers are just lighter and quicker. I use a little duct tape to make it waterproof. In Scotland we were not allowed to sleep in transition buildings at all. I am small so I slept dry in the bike box the one transition on the last night. I also make mine to open on the side. So that you have a large clean area to build the bike in. Takes the risk of dropping a screw/nut/part in the dirt. It also allows you to reach in the box easily. With the opening at the top you always reaching deep down into a box the whole time for stuff. 

That being said, protection wise- the bikeboxco boxes are really professional. The parts to protect disc brakes, derailleurs and other parts. They also support the bike really cleverly

cool.

My only issue with the bikebox.co is that because they are well built they get dragged around quite a lot. has to be a better way to prevent scuffing on the underside.

They are a proper investment and i don't see myself doing much bike flying so will go the homebuild route.

55 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

you go bankrupt

I have travelled with a bike box at 24kg on BA returning from Heathrow and was not charged extra (limit was 23kg).  They just slapped a HEAVY sticker on the box 

Edited by shaper