Vintage Steel Frame Bottom Brackets

Cronie

Hey fellow hubbers. I'm looking for some advise. I've purchased a steel frame Lejeune and restored the bike from top to bottom. 

Once I serviced the bottom bracket and refitted the crank, I tightened a bit too much and the nut holding the crank in place snapped off. It is therefore stuck in the bb spindle. I'm really annoyed as I was nearing the end of the project and I went and made this balls up. IMG_20230817_155020.jpg.227bc92f57fe532da976f4b3b03f8106.jpgIMG_20230817_154938.jpg.a302f3a50868db8125029548800a0c06.jpg

So my question is, which of the following steps is best:

1) Should I remove the entire spindle style bottom bracket and cups and replace with a new sealed bottom bracket? My only worry about this is that I want to keep the bike as original as possible. Would this upgrade affect the value of the bike or be a bad idea as it's a more modern upgrade on a vintage bike? 

2) Or should I try to get the broken piece drilled out but that could be awkward given the position. I could the reuse the spindle and just need to buy a new fastening screw.

3) Or should I just buy a new bb spindle style set for this bike and just use the spindle and one of the screws from the new set.

I've added a picture at the end of an example of the old bb setup. The only difference is that mine have screws that go into the ends of the bb spindle on either end which holds the crank arms in place.Screenshot_20230820_153155_com.facebook.katana.jpg.6a81f581115a2369fade4b4f83b0d0e3.jpg 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

IMG_20230817_154928.jpg

Good day

You will be able to pull the crank off the spindle, I would therefore replace the spindle as they are not that expensive.

you can try and drill it and use a extractor but I would also remove the spindle as the drill might slip and cause damage to the crank arm itself if trying to do it in place.

Good luck