Shimano compatible 11S freebody - bust or reuse?

mecheng89

Good morning Hubbers!

I was doing some deep cleaning of my transmission over the weekend, and after accidentaly removing the freebody (I didn't know that popped off that easily), I discovered one of the pawl of the freebody came undone.

Is this freebody reuseable, trash, or replace in a little while? As we know, stock is an issue in our count-ree ATM.

Thanks!

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-13 at 06.54.25_34d4a215.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-13 at 06.54.25_d47a54e6.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-13 at 06.54.25_dda138a0.jpg

What concerns me is the spring. It looks a little too far bent backwards to be of any use. The spring actually looks shot. Perhaps procuring the tiny spring is the most cost effective solution.

Which type of grease do you recommend? Regular automotive grease?

100% FINE 

When putting back keep in mind , the thickness and amount of grease will have an impact on the sound 

There's also lots of warning about using too much will result in the pawls not jumping back and sticking but I've literally never seen this. 

I like using thick white lithium grease from finish line in my hubs ( cartridge bearings , Pro4 ) , they're much quieter for about 3/4 rides then back to normal and when it comes apart next time the grease is still white so that makes me confident its keeping the majority of crap out of there. 

You also get pawl/spring replacement kits if you want to replace it. Then with regard to cleaning and lubing, I found Glue devil GD2 to work like a charm, cleans like a proper degreaser, and lubes as well (silicone). 

Side note: I regularly remove and clean my cassette and freebody, never had any issues with regard to the use of GD2, but that is my personal experience.

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

100% FINE 

When putting back keep in mind , the thickness and amount of grease will have an impact on the sound 

There's also lots of warning about using too much will result in the pawls not jumping back and sticking but I've literally never seen this. 

I like using thick white lithium grease from finish line in my hubs ( cartridge bearings , Pro4 ) , they're much quieter for about 3/4 rides then back to normal and when it comes apart next time the grease is still white so that makes me confident its keeping the majority of crap out of there. 

Just a note on this , I'm not saying I think its impossible for thick/lots of grease to make pawls stick i just find it unlikely 

i9 and older stans have pawls that have a very light kick back and something thick as hell might cause issue. 

Test is you're doing something with a new or super thick grease. 

Project farm is where alot of the weird things that i do to my bike comes from , mostly to ensure super long term reliability 

Edited by BaGearA

Still looks fine. Take all the other pawls an springs out and give it a good clean with a cloth/earbud etc. I use cold clean spray to clean all the cracks and tight spaces but keep it far away from the bearings. 

Edited by Barry

2 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

What concerns me is the spring. It looks a little too far bent backwards to be of any use. The spring actually looks shot. Perhaps procuring the tiny spring is the most cost effective solution.

Which type of grease do you recommend? Regular automotive grease?

Spring should still be fine, plenty tension there. Regular grease should do the job. 
I use a marine grease from Herchelles, no issues.

3 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

Good morning Hubbers!

I was doing some deep cleaning of my transmission over the weekend, and after accidentaly removing the freebody (I didn't know that popped off that easily), I discovered one of the pawl of the freebody came undone.

Is this freebody reuseable, trash, or replace in a little while? As we know, stock is an issue in our count-ree ATM.

Thanks!

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-13 at 06.54.25_34d4a215.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-13 at 06.54.25_d47a54e6.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-13 at 06.54.25_dda138a0.jpg

All I am reading here is a request for someone to second that an upgrade is required. 😀

Although I agree with everyone that this freebody is perfectly servicable, I will second that you are in serious need of an upgrade.😀