Bike Rack

LukeHayward

We are in the market for a new bike rack.  There seems to be a no-name brand  "Tow Bar Mounted Bicycle Rack - 4 Bike Carrier" that is on special for R5,995. Its the same one you can buy on take a lot!  The company selling it have been great in answering my questions and even have spare parts in case it breaks. It is obviously considerably cheaper than the well known brands out there. My question is has anyone got experience with this or should we rather hold out and buy the Thule? We are open to a 2 or 3 bike carriers as well (preferably 2nd hand). Thank You

Luke how many bikes will you transport ?

Road or MTB ?

Thule was built for road bikes ... older MTB's took a bit of effort to fit next to each other, with some pool-noodles to reduce damage.  New boost frames are near impossible to fit next to each other !!  

I AM a Thule fan-boy, but they need to wake up with their rack spacing.

That said, do check the spacing the other brands before parting with your money .... IF MTB is your thing ...

DO consider getting a rack with the "tilt" function !

The quick clip of the Thule onto the towball works very well.  I have seen people sweating with other brands using a bolt system to clamp to the towball ..... 

NONE of these are secure !!  To stop people stealing your bike while parked at a robot ... cable and LOCK it ....

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Luke how many bikes will you transport ?

Road or MTB ?

Thule was built for road bikes ... older MTB's took a bit of effort to fit next to each other, with some pool-noodles to reduce damage.  New boost frames are near impossible to fit next to each other !!  

That said, do check the spacing the other brands before parting with your money .... IF MTB is your thing ...

DO consider getting a rack with the "tilt" function !

The quick clip of the Thule onto the towball works very well.  I have seen people sweating with other brands using a bolt system to clamp to the towball ..... 

NONE of these are secure !!  To stop people stealing your bike while parked at a robot ... cable and LOCK it ....

In my limited experience with bike racks.. don’t skimp, you’ll be sorry when it fails due to being cheaply made.. also if your bikes are insured make sure it complies with your insurance so you don’t loose out on a claim later if it were to fail.. 

And yeah I have a Thule two bike and it fitted 1 mountain bike on it only.. my gravel bike fits nicely on it but I think I would struggle to get a second one on there easily.. 

😉🤘🏻

Check out Buzzrack too. They are a little better priced then Thule, are very reliable and reasonably easy to mount and use. I have been using the quattro for over 8 yrs now with no major issues. 

26 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

The newer Thule ones have sorted the spacing issue out. Took them longer than it should have, but here we are.

Good points for the rest though.

Just now, droo said:

The newer Thule ones have sorted the spacing issue out. Took them longer than it should have, but here we are.

Good points for the rest though.

Thank you.  Very good to know

Holdfast is a great brand aswell. Spares are locally available aswell. Don't skimp on a cheap bike rack, not going to look pretty heading down the highway at 120km/h and the rack decides to take a leave of absence. 

Even check on the Hub for a decent Secondhand carrier