Side Mounted Bike Racks

Trevor J

Hello Riders, 

I saw a toyota landcruiser that has a roof rack on and the bicycles were mounted on the side of the roof rack. 

could anyone advise where this type of mount can be bought locally in Cape Town. 

I have a vehicle with a roof rack and i like the idea to have the bicycles mounted on the sides so i can still place boxes on the roof. I am happy to hear your feedback and any ideas. If oyu have a side mounted home made system, if possible share some pics of your systems

I saw this a few years back -

Fietsrak.jpg.e47335b808a10cdee19ca5dc81c54678.jpg

Foot rests, with straps, that was installed in line with the bak-to-canopy line.

He must have used some sort of a clamp along the roof rack line to hold the frame.

The only negative I could figure out was that the handle bars could protrude past the mirrors, making the vehicle even wider.  Pretty sure bike could be leaned inward to keep this to a minimum.  IF this is a real issue, the bars could be twisted.  (I do this on long trips when using the platform rack, as the back window is straight up and there is a chance of the bars knocking against the window)

No idea if this was a one of custom job, or if somebody sells this.  Certainly would be a nice D.I.Y. project.

- Stainless Steel brackets cut and bent for the foot pieces. (get the angle right for different tyre widths)

- Thule or HoldFast straps to hold the wheels in place

- Thule or HoldFast clamp arm .... going to take some trial and error to get the arm length right, as well as the mounting position on the roof rack to match different frames.

- Might as well get a cable and lock system sorted ... for the insurance ...

Front runner has a mounting that place the bikes next to the roof rack.

Like all things FR, very expensive.

thank you all for the replies so far, much appreciated. 

My plan/thinking was also custom make as ChrF suggested. I was thinking of having side plates bent/manufactured to bolt to my roof rack and at a slight angle to hopefully bring the bars in a little. I was thinking to make the brackets in a way to have the roof bike rack bolted on as well for easy mounting etc. 

I will be going to aocmpany called Vectitec who do custome metal work, hopefully they can also suggest some ideas. 

When i get it done i will be sure to share some pics and information with you all.

Your bike shop can order a range of items from HoldFast.

I used their mounting brackets when making the custom racks inside our vehicle.

The big challange with these projects is to control the sideways movement of the bike ....

Enjoy the project 👍