Warning: Transkei N2

Hobbes

Just a heads up to be alert if traveling on the N2 through the towns in the Transkei. Almost lost my Pyga off the tow hitch rack while caught in the traffic in Qumbu today. 

There was a video doing the rounds a few months ago of a similar incident in Umtata. Unfortunately I can't see it improving. 

I have never driven the N2 beyond PE, so want to do a road trip on the N2 from Cape Town to Durban. I looked at the map yesterday and wondered how safe it is. Now I see this post. What is the general condition of the N2 through the Eastern Cape? Safety wise is it fine? 

7 hours ago, Stephan said:

I have never driven the N2 beyond PE, so want to do a road trip on the N2 from Cape Town to Durban. I looked at the map yesterday and wondered how safe it is. Now I see this post. What is the general condition of the N2 through the Eastern Cape? Safety wise is it fine? 

This happens in Stellenbosch, all too often.

Driving through Transkei is the same as so many other spots in SA.

Lock your vehicles and goods.

Opportunistic crime is a realitt in most of SA.

We have done the N2 through Transkei, like so many others who pass through there daily.

7 hours ago, Stephan said:

The road itself is in good shape. 
but don’t drive it in the dark, and if you can, bypass the towns. 
that says it all really.

Roads pretty good. 

Watch out for animals. 

If do R62 via port st John's, watch out for speed humps and pot holes.  Night driving can also be challenging due to lack of road markings and frequent thick mist. 

It helps to drive with GPS on to see curves at night.

Preferably have bikes inside vehicle.  Else make sure they are well secured and locked to vehicle.  Umtata is famous for people trying to open car doors and canopies and steal in stop go traffic.  The small towns during holidays are packed with people shopping. Expect to go through at 10kph max. Except at night - then faster but different risks as described. 

That being said, if you break down you would be surprised at how many are willing to stop and help.