[Event] Lions Karoo to Coast MTB

Zandile Meneses

Event Name: Lions Karoo to Coast MTB
When: 22/09/2024
Where: Uniondale, Western Cape
Category: Gravel

The Lions Karoo to Coast MTB Challenge - 24 Sept 2024 is one of SAs original point to point MTB events. This route is Gravel Bike Heaven and we welcome MTBs, E Bikes and Gravel Bikes with prize categories for all. The event is a an Official Seeding Event for the Cape Town Cycle Tour and 2023 entrants receive a 33% discount on 2024 entry costs- online entries at www.karootocoast.com

Go to Event Page.

Depends, how technically skilled are you? I would say 95% of this race is totally fine on a gravel bike.

But there are some (few) sections which are closer to mountain biking, like the descent after the first big climb. It will be fine for riders with some experience of technical mountain biking behind them, if you want to use a gravel bike.

On 1/8/2024 at 6:49 AM, Dicky DQ said:

So now it is a gravel bike race, my how things have changed from gravel bikes being banned.

Adapt or die!

3 minutes ago, Hilton. said:

Depends, how technically skilled are you? I would say 95% of this race is totally fine on a gravel bike.

But there are some (few) sections which are closer to mountain biking, like the descent after the first big climb. It will be fine for riders with some experience of technical mountain biking behind them, if you want to use a gravel bike.

Wait, nevermind, I think it's been smoothed out a lot! Check here:

14 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

What would be the best bike to use?

I’ve never done this race before.

You could do it on a road bike with wide tires, or Gravel or MTB or Eversions of them; each have their benefits and drawbacks. All depends on what you feel like riding. There are no challenges on the course any more excepts some corrugations and some loose stones.

14 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Adapt or die!

Note, I was just commenting on how vehemently they opposed allowing drop bars a few years ago.

2 hours ago, Dicky DQ said:

You could do it on a road bike with wide tires, or Gravel or MTB or Eversions of them; each have their benefits and drawbacks. All depends on what you feel like riding. There are no challenges on the course any more excepts some corrugations and some loose stones.

Okay so it is technically a gravel race then. I wonder if they will drop the Mtb from the name in future years.