MTB Brake pads/shoes for V brakes

Hi all

Any recommendations for better brake pads/shoes on a old style V brake setup?

I don't ride in wet conditions but it would be nice if my brakes will still be usable if I am in the middle of nowhere and a unforeseen cloud decides to wet the road being traveled.

You’re a braver person than me 😂

Having now been back on a bike for the past two years having last ridden a bike as a teenager (I’m 43 now) I can’t imagine ever using rim/V-brakes brakes again, even on a relaxed kerbside ride! Even cable-actuated disc brakes make me uncomfortable once I’ve been on one of the hydraulic brake bikes for a bit. 

I went and looked at your previous posts about getting a new bike - are you still riding the Giant 26er? What brakes does it have? 

1 hour ago, hendrik@bikehub said:

Hi all

Any recommendations for better brake pads/shoes on a old style V brake setup?

I don't ride in wet conditions but it would be nice if my brakes will still be usable if I am in the middle of nowhere and a unforeseen cloud decides to wet the road being traveled.

Tri-Zones 900 V-Brake Pads - Decathlon

You may be able to find koolstop or swissstop inserts for cartridge pads. If you can, those are the ones to go for. 

If not, Jagwire do a wet weather compound. Buy a few sets cos they don't last long, but they work. 

On 1/19/2024 at 4:01 PM, RobynE said:

You’re a braver person than me 😂

Having now been back on a bike for the past two years having last ridden a bike as a teenager (I’m 43 now) I can’t imagine ever using rim/V-brakes brakes again, even on a relaxed kerbside ride! Even cable-actuated disc brakes make me uncomfortable once I’ve been on one of the hydraulic brake bikes for a bit. 

I went and looked at your previous posts about getting a new bike - are you still riding the Giant 26er? What brakes does it have? 

Haha. I don't ride yet. My bike is still in storage at my parents. My son who is now 16 is now hanging on me to get it so that we can go and ride. He took over my wife's Giant which is also a 26er. We were in Orania for December and with all the rain there he still rode but complained frequently about no brakes. Mud and water also messed up his brake pads, so much that the rear pads are wasted. Need to replace them. But at that price I wonder if it is worth it to upgrade if we are not really going to ride in wet conditions.

Now I have another question. I can get a 27.5 Merida with disc brakes and more modern geometry for him. I heard today from someone the 27.5 I must stay away as they are phased out. 26 one can still get some parts for but the go to now is 29er. Any recommendations?

The Rac X thermofoils dual compound are not only super light weight but good on a wet rim. DM for details.

I regularly ride my vintage rim brake mountain bike. They are old centre pulls, not even v-brakes. Before that I rode a Merida with V-brakes. Both have been up and down Tokai. Provided V-brakes are maintained they work adequately and when you have been through water, you just need to apply them a few meters early so they can dry off the rims.

(But the Shimano hydraulics on my DS are in a completely different class. Don't test one of these till you ready to upgrade 🤫).

1 hour ago, hendrik@bikehub said:

Haha. I don't ride yet. My bike is still in storage at my parents. My son who is now 16 is now hanging on me to get it so that we can go and ride. He took over my wife's Giant which is also a 26er. We were in Orania for December and with all the rain there he still rode but complained frequently about no brakes. Mud and water also messed up his brake pads, so much that the rear pads are wasted. Need to replace them. But at that price I wonder if it is worth it to upgrade if we are not really going to ride in wet conditions.

Now I have another question. I can get a 27.5 Merida with disc brakes and more modern geometry for him. I heard today from someone the 27.5 I must stay away as they are phased out. 26 one can still get some parts for but the go to now is 29er. Any recommendations?

Well I don’t know much about 27.5 other than you have a more limited tyre and fork selection - that being said, slowly stocks are dwindling on 26er parts as well except for the more hardcore downhill/enduro type stuff, and the kids bike stuff. 

But if the deal is decent why not - Merida are decent bikes and the 27.5 will give him a little more reward for his efforts than a 26er, and if the disk brakes are 💩 you can always upgrade them without too much cost (often see sets for sale anywhere from R1000 to R6000). The bike should last him a decent amount of time. Depends on the price of course. 

You could also look at a small or medium (depending on his height) 29er and then you’ll never have to worry about tyres, forks or anything else as 29” is definitely the most popular size. However it is a BIG jump from a 26er even in a smaller frame size and if the bike is too big for him he’s probably not going to enjoy it. 

All that being said those Decathlon pads are very cool and will most certainly give him some stoppage once bedded in and the brake system adjusted properly. Probably a good place to start! 

Edit: just saw that he is 16, so a 29er may be the way to go depending on his height. Not sure if you’ve ridden a 29er but it’s a totally different ride to a 26er and the 27.5 sits squarely in the middle. At the end of the day you have to like your bike, and that’s something to consider. 

Edited by RobynE

27.5 is not going anywhere. Much easier to get 27.5 equipement then it is to find decent 26.

Doubt the upgrade from rim to disc would be worth it on an old frame, rather put the money toward a more modern upgrade from the classifieds. 

Most bike shops will carry so v-brakes for you in the mean time. A couple good options given above. Setup of pads is quite important for correct operation and better longevity.