Anyone flown with an empty bike bag?

Scott roy

Hi,

So I need to fly my empty (titan racing) bike bag back to SA to fetch a second bike. Has anyone done this or know if this could be an issue? It will be folded down and is within Qatar's size limits but would they maybe want to take it to fragile/oversized goods anyway? Will they have a problem with an empty bag of this nature?

Any input or advice will be appreciated

I flew back from Europe last year with an empty bike bag. The bike bag was the type that's just cloth so it can fold into about half of it's size. Put tape around it and that was it.
When checking it in they did request that I take to the oversized luggage section but it arrived in SA without any problems.

In SA it was put on the conveyer belts with the other suitcases. 

I also flew to Germany with empty softshell bag folded as small as i could get it tied it up with suitcase straps and checked it in  - no problem on Lufthansa

If it is a one way trip, why not just get a box from a bike store here and fly it back with you, throw the box away on the other side. Some stores will even pack the bike for you nicely.

3 minutes ago, dave303e said:

If it is a one way trip, why not just get a box from a bike store here and fly it back with you, throw the box away on the other side. Some stores will even pack the bike for you nicely.

That’s the backup plan, I’m not such a fan of the boxes, used them on national flights and had one torn open a bit, now it’s bag only if I can help it. 

Flown back and forth with empty hard shell cases and soft bags rolled up. You always need to take them to oversized but that's never really an inconvenience. Just check the airline reg's and you should be good. Have heard of horror stories where people going out with an empty bag and coming back with a nice new bike in a bag / fresh looking 'i just bought a bike' box getting pinned by customs but I can't really see that happening and I've never had any issue what so ever. Normally I catch the customs guys eye and he has a look that's like 'that seems a lot of admin for me, keep moving and we'll both be good'. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

How does this work in terms of declaration of goods and import taxes? 

Would you need to proof the bike was bought here way back when?

I was wondering about this as I was thinking to buy a bike at cheaper European prices and just fly it back with me whilst I am overseas. 

The workaround is fly a cheapo over so you can show you left with a bike and came back with a bike.

Not sure if this has ever been an issue.

32 minutes ago, Michael S said:

How does this work in terms of declaration of goods and import taxes? 

Would you need to proof the bike was bought here way back when?

I was wondering about this as I was thinking to buy a bike at cheaper European prices and just fly it back with me whilst I am overseas. 

The workaround is fly a cheapo over so you can show you left with a bike and came back with a bike.

Not sure if this has ever been an issue.

Shouldn’t be an issue, if you’re worried then spatter some mud or dirt on the bike and tell them you’ve been cycling if they ask, shouldn’t go any further than that. 

For anyone perhaps having the same question as I had, all went smoothly. Wrapped the bag at the airport (cost double a normal suitcase despite being rolled down as small as possible). Bag went off with suitcases, no issues. On the SA side it came out at oversized goods, will definitely do this again. 

You need to declare a bike when you leave - they give you a stamped form with the serial number on it at the airport customs desk. 5min job that could save you a ton of duties if you are pulled over on your way back. They’re not fools and will go as far as looking up your bike online to see what it is worth and tax you accordingly. 
Tip: take a photo of the serial number on the frame then you don’t have to unpack the bike at the airport. (My experience anyway). 

9 minutes ago, openmind said:

You need to declare a bike when you leave - they give you a stamped form with the serial number on it at the airport customs desk. 5min job that could save you a ton of duties if you are pulled over on your way back. They’re not fools and will go as far as looking up your bike online to see what it is worth and tax you accordingly. 
Tip: take a photo of the serial number on the frame then you don’t have to unpack the bike at the airport. (My experience anyway). 

I’ve flown multiple times with a bike and with other people who have bikes, never had such an issue or done that. But I will definitely take note.