Can you help? Avalanche 29er Reflex Pro MTB chainslap/freehub

Ant in the NL

I have a '22 model that hasn't had much off-road action and has been serviced by Durbanville cycles since I purchased the bike. It's always had some chain slack when in the small rear gear (it's a 1 x 12 L-Twoo set up) and if you're pedalling at high RPMs and stop pedalling, the chain lunges forward then resets itself (tested when on a bike service frame too) 2nd issue is that when you push down on the pedal after coasting it doesn't engage the rear wheel/power immediately. There's a slight lag before the power is engaged. 

Any ideas on what is happening?

I'm in the NL 🇳🇱 now so I can't take back to DVC 🙄

Edited by AntVanR

3 hours ago, AntVanR said:

I have a '22 model that hasn't had much off-road action and has been serviced by Durbanville cycles since I purchased the bike. It's always had some chain slack when in the small rear gear (it's a 1 x 12 L-Twoo set up) and if you're pedalling at high RPMs and stop pedalling, the chain lunges forward then resets itself (tested when on a bike service frame too) 2nd issue is that when you push down on the pedal after coasting it doesn't engage the rear wheel/power immediately. There's a slight lag before the power is engaged. 

Any ideas on what is happening?

I'm in the NL 🇳🇱 now so I can't take back to DVC 🙄

Recheck all Derailleur Adjustments. Sounds like too little tension on Chain. 

how much chain-slack in the big gear? If you can't figure out the derailleur adjustments (or they are correct) you can shorten the chain by a few links and try again (keep the links in case you need to extend it again). Chain tools are relatively cheap and easy to use. 

Sounds like a freehub issue.  I am guessing that it has a sealed Shimano type freehub that screws onto the hub body.  Not too much that you can do apart from replacing it.  

My first point of call would be to screw in the B-screw to remove the slack on the chain. If this does not work I will look into the cable and other tension and then move into shortening the chain and then look into freehub etc etc. 

On 1/30/2024 at 10:33 AM, Danger Dassie said:

Start with the basics first, check the chain length is correct. Where abouts are you in NL? 

I am up north, near Hoorn (Medemblik gemeente) - chain is pretty tight in the biggest gear so (I did have issues engaging that gear previously which DVC cycles fixed supposedly, and since then the slap has been more evident)

On 1/30/2024 at 7:47 AM, bebnin said:

how much chain-slack in the big gear? If you can't figure out the derailleur adjustments (or they are correct) you can shorten the chain by a few links and try again (keep the links in case you need to extend it again). Chain tools are relatively cheap and easy to use. 

Chain is pretty tight in the biggest gear so (I did have issues engaging that gear previously which DVC cycles fixed supposedly, and since then the slap has been more evident)

On 1/30/2024 at 8:07 AM, David Marshall said:

Sounds like a freehub issue.  I am guessing that it has a sealed Shimano type freehub that screws onto the hub body.  Not too much that you can do apart from replacing it.  

A google search also mentioned something about a 'clutch' issue? Is this bike even equipped with a clutch?image.png.8d2f479ff94752aebdf19bbb0b3e576a.png

11 minutes ago, AntVanR said:

A google search also mentioned something about a 'clutch' issue? Is this bike even equipped with a clutch?image.png.8d2f479ff94752aebdf19bbb0b3e576a.png

a close up of the chain at full strecth image.png.0fe2bb691e77dce19521a756d027f2a1.png

Don't use the Small Gear. (You can't Shorten that Chain)

OR

Shorten the Chain and Don't use the Big Gear.

OR

Change to Shimano with a Clutch (But you might need to change the HUB)

Flame Away.

Edited by dasilvarsa

18 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Don't use the Small Gear. (You can't Shorten that Chain)

OR

Shorten the Chain and Don't use the Big Gear.

OR

Change to Shimano with a Clutch (But you might need to change the HUB)

Flame Away.

Option 2 sounds best (and most affordable) for now as mountains are far and few in-between here 😆😆

Option 3 - Shimano derailleur and hub then? Any Shimano is better than L-Twoo, right?