Dinged Rim repairs

440MTB

Howdy all, hope you're having a lekker Friday!

Quick question for you guys: I bought my Giant Reign with a few bad dings on the rear rim & one or two less serious dings on the front rim (AM29 30mm I/D Aluminium rims), but I wasn't too phased by this as I have a set of Lyne AMP HD with Hi-Per Hubs which I'm running.

I was wondering if you guys know if dinged rims can be repaired, if so, do you have details of the people who can do so (preferably in Cape Town area)?

I'd like to get the rims fixed so I either have an extra set of wheels for building a hardtail or whatever, or get them in a better condition for when I sell the bike again one day.

Thanks!

I have never seen it done successfully, what i did ( before going carbon (best decision ever) ) was i would take a shifting spanner with a piece of leather and tighten it onto the spot then gently nudge it back.

Very gently and very little , cause if go just a little too far to whole thing folds and a nice chunk of rim comes with.

I now have one of these which will likely make it easier to do but haven't had the chance/need 

images (38).jpeg

Thanks for the reply @BaGearA - I looked at the one ding and it seems if I'm not careful I might actually snap a piece off.

I'll see what I can figure out, I'm actually waiting for feedback from the seller, as his dad owns a well known MX & Boat/Jetski place, and he actually said they'll take the rims and fix them for me, but now the son (who sold me the bike), isn't getting back to me on Whatsapp... Will give the shop a phone and ask the to speak to the dad and ask whether they'll still help or not.

Edited by 440MTB

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

I have never seen it done successfully, what i did ( before going carbon (best decision ever) ) was i would take a shifting spanner with a piece of leather and tighten it onto the spot then gently nudge it back.

Very gently and very little , cause if go just a little too far to whole thing folds and a nice chunk of rim comes with.

I now have one of these which will likely make it easier to do but haven't had the chance/need 

images (38).jpeg

If I may ask (hopefully not seen as a hijack) where do you buy those?

I have taken out a couple of dents in the past. 

Have the rim flat on a piece of hard rubber or wood, then take a piece of plastic (I used a tyre lever) and tap on it with a hammer. Ensure the rim is flat on the surface and the plastic you are using is wider than the dent. Then just m#@r till flat and straight. 

1 hour ago, NotShatterProof said:

If I may ask (hopefully not seen as a hijack) where do you buy those?

Rs online is the easiest in RSA 

YOu can get them from wurth if they will sell to you , the remove the handles thoe and put on shitty dipped wurth branded stuff one but the tool is an original knipex

59 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Rs online is the easiest in RSA 

YOu can get them from wurth if they will sell to you , the remove the handles thoe and put on shitty dipped wurth branded stuff one but the tool is an original knipex

Teng Tools also sell the "real" Knipex.

Thanks for the feedback gents... got hold of the owner of the MX place and he said I can drop the rims, they'll try sort them out for me. 👍

IMG_20240209_152621.jpg.208bc00b7a6b5ee443e68be8065ef4d6.jpgI wouldn't advise the plumbing pliers, shifting spanner or anything like that. It's a sure way to kink or crack the rim.

I line up the rim on a small anvil and use a hammer and plastic rod to flatten the dent out. Best done with two people. One holds the wheel with the brake surface flat on the anvil with the edge of the rim on the edge of the anvil and the other hammers. 

If the ding goes into the lower part of the bed the best you can hope for is to get it tubeless again. The fault will always be there.

• 2 months later...

Completely forgot about this thread - for those interested... The chaps at Droomers Yamaha were able to sort out the dings nicely - Not perfect, but 98% better than they were when I got the bike. 😎👍

So if I ever sell my bike, the stock rims are at least in an acceptable condition for the next owner, as I'll keep my aftermarket wheelset for my next bike.

Edited by 440MTB

I rode down to the top of Rhino 1 from the Mast at Contermans weekend before last, and before I even managed to enter the Rhino I heard a loud ping and a hiss. Stopped, and looked back to watch my tyre deflate on the bead where I struck a rock.

I hiked down to the bottom of Rhino 1 thinking the rim was poked, but then mates saw my foolishness and advised me to inflate the tyre again. I was thinking it was dead, but saw it wasn't. There is a buckle on that spot, but it still holds fine, and I rode down that line on Saturday past again. Here's to hoping the upcoming enduro won't be too harsh on the wheels.

Edited by Robbie Stewart