Bike Computer and Ride Drink

Bundu Ric

On 2/13/2024 at 4:51 PM, Bundu Ric said:

Maybe my question got lost, is the Karoo Hammerhead available in SA or only via import?

Kind of silly that you can't buy it at the Beaufort west Agri. They need to change the name

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/14/2024 at 9:08 AM, Bundu Ric said:

Thanks for this, I am going to look into these glasses as that is exactly my problem and really don't want to replace my bike computer if not needed, so this might be a way better option. 

Thanks a mill.

I bought snowbees off Takealot, but the window is 1.50. Not sure if they come in a +2

https://www.takealot.com/snowbee-polarised-sunglasses-matt-black-frame-smoke-lense-1-50-s/PLID72297910

I wore them twice but my astigmatism had got so bad that I couldn't see clearly through the unmagnified part -- I ride in +1.5 shaded readers from Dischem now for distance and carry my prescription glasses in my camelback. So if anyone in CT southern suburbs wants to try these, I'd be happy to flog them for R200.

Edited by Anthem24
added text below link

My spanner in the works here:

For a ride of an hour or 90 to 100 minutes, I eat nothing, even if its first thing in the morning but may take a along a banana if I think I might feel a bit flat along the way. For long haul rides, I've tried Cadence, that fancy Swiss stuff (name now escapes) etc. None if it really agrees with me, I have found USN muscle fuel in my water bottle to the best option for long hard rides. For inbetweeners a conventional USN protein bar or a Biogen energy bar (the latter is good for a quick bosst when you need it and are not too far from the end). Then there is normal food too - a good old peanut butter sandwhich or similar. 

Spectacles, I've tried special prescription cycling specs (baie duur). Nothing has worked as well for me as my standard varifocal lenses with photochromic addition. The curvature on the special cycling lenses made it difficult to judge drop offs etc on trails. Not an issue with my standard lenses which have less curvature. Maybe just get yourself a spare pair of you can afford it. And I can see everything - computer, trail, the lot.

But everyone is different. You have to find what works for *you*.

Edited by MudLark

48 minutes ago, MudLark said:

My spanner in the works here:

For a ride of an hour or 90 to 100 minutes, I eat nothing, even if its first thing in the morning but may take a along a banana if I think I might feel a bit flat along the way. For long haul rides, I've tried Cadence, that fancy Swiss stuff (name now escapes) etc. None if it really agrees with me, I have found USN muscle fuel in my water bottle to the best option for long hard rides. For inbetweeners a conventional USN protein bar or a Biogen energy bar (the latter is good for a quick bosst when you need it and are not too far from the end). Then there is normal food too - a good old peanut butter sandwhich or similar. 

Spectacles, I've tried special prescription cycling specs (baie duur). Nothing has worked as well for me as my standard varifocal lenses with photochromic addition. The curvature on the special cycling lenses made it difficult to judge drop offs etc on trails. Not and issue with my standrad lenses which have less curvature. Maybe just get yourself a spare pair of you can affird it. And I can see everything - computer, trail, the lot.

But everyone is different. You have to find what works for *you*.

On advice of a dietitian I only use water during the first hour.

Flat box on race day I start small sips of the gummy berry juice from about 40 minutes.

As per the OP ... his rides ends with a coffee and snack .... even less reason for food during the ride.

Just consider how electrolytes are replenished ...

11 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

On advice of a dietitian I only use water during the first hour.

Flat box on race day I start small sips of the gummy berry juice from about 40 minutes.

As per the OP ... his rides ends with a coffee and snack .... even less reason for food during the ride.

Just consider how electrolytes are replenished ...

Ek sal heeltemal vrek hier na 3 ure as ek nie eet nie.

1 minute ago, MudLark said:

Ek sal heeltemal vrek hier na 3 ure as ek nie eet nie.

Hiehie .... me too !!!!

FIRST hour is water .... body using breakfast.

Then a stead intake of energy and electrolytes .... finally getting my rate of intake sorted for a 5 hour zone 2 ride vs a 3:30 zone 4 blast ....

3-4 Scoops of Game powder in 700ml waterbottle for standard 1-3 hour ride..