Converting a 2x10 to a 1x12

BigDL

19 minutes ago, Mongoose! said:

An XD cassette is machined out of one piece of material / or rivet together as one piece ... Sram or generic, they are m@er expensive. NX/SX / "Deore"  fit on a HG freebody and dont have a 10 t

microspline and XD means you run a 10t at the back...

Yes exactly, and with generic prices varying. One can still come in relatively cost effective with better options for  gearing, particularly for MS. One is not locked into any brand’s cassettes either. Which leaving out XD. Using Deore as an example, yes the older ones are just over 1k, while the newer MS compatible Deore is nearly double. But with a ten tooth and still relatively cost effective across the board.

Which ultimately is the balance what Droo was driving at I think by suggesting MS, not to speak on his behalf.

On 2/16/2024 at 4:26 PM, BigDL said:

As far as I can work out, it is the Microspline driver 

If it's currently 10sp it's an HG driver. I need to know what kind of hub you have so I can tell you if there's a compatible MS driver.

On 2/17/2024 at 11:23 AM, SSCC said:

Droo what’s the advantage of going to Microspline over HG if you already have a HG driver? Better cassettes options, better shifting? 

10t at the sharp end for better range, and the Shimano cassette and chain combo shifts infinitely better than SX / NX /  Sunrace.

Not saying it's the only way to go, but if it's an option it's definitely worth considering.

Each to his own . But I won’t change to 1 x 12 . So many advantages of sticking with much cheaper cassettes chains etc . Yes 1 x is simpler and neater and lighter . I run 1 x 11 on my mtb …again cheaper than 1 x 12 and 2 x10 on my gravel bike . Just closer range on the 2 x10 is just so nice . Got my helmet on so throw those stones 😇

53 minutes ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Each to his own . But I won’t change to 1 x 12 . So many advantages of sticking with much cheaper cassettes chains etc . Yes 1 x is simpler and neater and lighter . I run 1 x 11 on my mtb …again cheaper than 1 x 12 and 2 x10 on my gravel bike . Just closer range on the 2 x10 is just so nice . Got my helmet on so throw those stones 😇

My worry is more about having a mechanical somewhere and parts not being easily available. Struggled to get parts recently. 

2 minutes ago, BigDL said:

My worry is more about having a mechanical somewhere and parts not being easily available. Struggled to get parts recently. 

The only thing you might battle to find is chainrings - chains and cassettes are easy to find. And if you replace your chain before 0.5% wear you'll take a very long time to wear your rings (and cassette) out.