Carbon wheels with or without Ceramic Bearings

Ugenius

I am currently running Fulcrum Racing 3 Wheels and want to upgrade to Carbon wheels but there is so much advice/options out there.

What would you guys recommend ceramic or non-ceramic bearings?

What wheel options, say 40 to 50mm depth?

40mm wheels are a good middle ground. Going deeper for a lighter rider can be a menace in crosswinds. 

Do you do lots of climbing? If so, shallower is better. 

Ceramic bearings are great if you take the time to keep them maintained but can become eye watering when you get the bill for replacements. 

There are lots of great wheel brands out there, because of how poor our road conditions are, I would consider a brand that offers a "Crash Replacement" or discount if you smash a rim. 

1 minute ago, PregoRoll said:

40mm wheels are a good middle ground. Going deeper for a lighter rider can be a menace in crosswinds. 

Do you do lots of climbing? If so, shallower is better. 

Ceramic bearings are great if you take the time to keep them maintained but can become eye watering when you get the bill for replacements. 

There are lots of great wheel brands out there, because of how poor our road conditions are, I would consider a brand that offers a "Crash Replacement" or discount if you smash a rim. 

Thanks, not that much climbing.  

What would be your top 3 brands you would recommend ?

Seems the only brands offering a Crash Replacement on Road wheels are: 

Bontrager (Trek)

Reserve Wheels (Santa Cruz)

Concept Speed (Private Label)

Roval (Specialized) - 2 Years with original owner

I’ve literally just watched the wild ones podcast, and Nic the mechanic talks about them.. if you getting them for speed they are overrated and expensive but for durability in certain conditions(wet climates) they are very underrated.. 

Hot and dry climate he recommends well maintained steel bearings will serve you extremely well for a long time..

For wheels I would go for Concept Speed.  Locally assembled and well supported.

I also have no faith in ceramic bearings.  Most are hybrid with ceramic balls and steel races, lubed with snake oil.  Full ceramic have both races and balls ceramic and are "lubed" with the ceramic dust generated when the bearing runs.

The cheaper bicycle ones run rough from day one and go downhill fast.

The last upmarket ones we fitted to a rear wheel (5 sealed ceramic bearings) cost R13000. I'd rather a second wheelset..

33 minutes ago, David Marshall said:

For wheels I would go for Concept Speed.  Locally assembled and well supported.

I also have no faith in ceramic bearings.  Most are hybrid with ceramic balls and steel races, lubed with snake oil.  Full ceramic have both races and balls ceramic and are "lubed" with the ceramic dust generated when the bearing runs.

The cheaper bicycle ones run rough from day one and go downhill fast.

The last upmarket ones we fitted to a rear wheel (5 sealed ceramic bearings) cost R13000. I'd rather a second wheelset..

Thanks, will check them out