Advice re: MTB clip in pedals with or without cage

Ant in the NL

I've been running Ryder clip in pedals for about 18 months and they've been great. I started getting a painful footsole about a month ago on the right foot, and lo and behold the left pedal cleat clip in broke yesterday (see pic). So I'm looking at a new set of Shimano SPDs, will the caged pedal (pics attached) provide better foot support to prevent the pain underfoot or are the actual shoes packing up (Ryders also 18 months old)? @ChrisF @RobertWhitehead you blokes seem very knowledgeable 👍🏼👍🏼

20240217_135508.jpg

Screenshot_20240218_153954_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240218_154019_Chrome.jpg

Edited by AntVanR
Detail added

2 hours ago, AntVanR said:

@ChrisF @RobertWhitehead 👍🏼👍🏼

First off: thank you for the compliment 

Second: I am a keyboard activist and know very little :eek:. (kidding, I have a masters in the art of camouflaging the crap I speak so that it looks like I know what I am talking about :oops:). 

Ok, left field question: has this painful foot sole started one day out of the blue and perhaps more or less the same time you bought some nicely branded socks by any chance? I don't know what it is but certain sock manufacturers, I can mention quite a few, has the tendency to make my feet feel like they're on fire. During the one race back in the day I had to stop next to the road just to get some relief. 

To answer your questions: 

1) Will the caged pedal (pics attached) provide better foot support to prevent the pain underfoot - nope, it did not help for me, I had that exact same pedal

2) Are the actual shoes packing up - nope, my first pair lasted close to 8 year before I finally threw them away. All the velcro straps tore out the shoe (cheap Olympics) but at that point I only used it on the trainer so did not mind too much. 

One of my current pairs (first ascent) is also close to 6 years old, possibly older

Uhmmmm ... I ride flat pedals ... partly to avoid pain in my feet.

Feet, shoes, position on the pedals, etc and the resulting hot or sore feet is discussed often on the Hub.

I do hope you manage to get an answer for your issue.

Shitmano SPD's are the bomb, its about the only thing Shitmano designed properly

The platform or cage pedals are more for easier to get your foot clipped in and uncleating but keeping you foot on the pedal when you doing rocky or technical sections.

Pain is more to do with your shoes than pedals - make sure your pedals aren't set to tight to give your foot some float while riding. And make sure your shoes have rigid soles and the cleat screws aren't pushing up through the inner sole of the shoe - this places pressure on the ball of your sole and can cause a lot of pain

53 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

First off: thank you for the compliment 

Second: I am a keyboard activist and know very little :eek:. (kidding, I have a masters in the art of camouflaging the crap I speak so that it looks like I know what I am talking about :oops:). 

Ok, left field question: has this painful foot sole started one day out of the blue and perhaps more or less the same time you bought some nicely branded socks by any chance? I don't know what it is but certain sock manufacturers, I can mention quite a few, has the tendency to make my feet feel like they're on fire. During the one race back in the day I had to stop next to the road just to get some relief. 

To answer your questions: 

1) Will the caged pedal (pics attached) provide better foot support to prevent the pain underfoot - nope, it did not help for me, I had that exact same pedal

2) Are the actual shoes packing up - nope, my first pair lasted close to 8 year before I finally threw them away. All the velcro straps tore out the shoe (cheap Olympics) but at that point I only used it on the trainer so did not mind too much. 

One of my current pairs (first ascent) is also close to 6 years old, possibly older

Shot, tks for the feedback and the well camou'd reply 😆 Will invest in a pair of 'naked' SPDs and try them out 

46 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Uhmmmm ... I ride flat pedals ... partly to avoid pain in my feet.

Feet, shoes, position on the pedals, etc and the resulting hot or sore feet is discussed often on the Hub.

I do hope you manage to get an answer for your issue.

Sweet, tks bud. Been thinking, maybe it's cause I've been off the bike for weeks and then did a 30km in 6⁰c temps 🥹🥹 I will look out for other tips on the site though 

35 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Shitmano SPD's are the bomb, its about the only thing Shitmano designed properly

The platform or cage pedals are more for easier to get your foot clipped in and uncleating but keeping you foot on the pedal when you doing rocky or technical sections.

Pain is more to do with your shoes than pedals - make sure your pedals aren't set to tight to give your foot some float while riding. And make sure your shoes have rigid soles and the cleat screws aren't pushing up through the inner sole of the shoe - this places pressure on the ball of your sole and can cause a lot of pain

I'll check for the cleat screws through the inner sole 👍🏼