Rodger

DodgeB

Hi folks

My bottle-cage broke, so, no biggie(I thought), buy a new one, and unscrew the two bolts that screw into the frame. But one of the bolt-inserts, in the frame has broken loose from the frame, and now it just turns. It is the top one in the photo.

Grateful for any thoughts/experiences.

Rodger

IMG_7748.JPG

If the bolt is out it's pretty easy really.

Find a slightly longer bolt that fits, and a nut and washer. Turn the nut on to the bolt so there's about 10 - 15mm of thread through the nut. Add the washer and thread the exposed bit of bolt into the bottle boss. 

Now hold the bolt still and tighten the nut onto the boss until the boss is tight again.

Remove the bolt. Job done. 

A bottle boss is a rivnut - basically a threaded rivet. It just needs to be compressed again so it grips the wall of the tube.

Or if you have access to a rivnut tool, just use that. But most people don't. 

Hi Droo, thanks so much!

Done and dusted!

The thread in the boss was a bit messed up, so getting the new screw in was a bit of a mission, so I used as large a washer, 3cm wide, as I could find to apply pressure to the boss, while screwing the new screw in.

Have a lekker day,

Rodger

25 minutes ago, DodgeB said:

Hi Droo, thanks so much!

Done and dusted!

The thread in the boss was a bit messed up, so getting the new screw in was a bit of a mission, so I used as large a washer, 3cm wide, as I could find to apply pressure to the boss, while screwing the new screw in.

Have a lekker day,

Rodger

power of le hub!! I learnt something too here.

@droo you have earned yourself an early trip to that beer fridge of yours you keep talking about.